USB hub help!

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
mike_louisxvi

USB hub help!

Post by mike_louisxvi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:02 am

I've checked around the forums and I feel like I have tried everything. I just can't seem to get the Pi to recognize a keyboard. I've tried the Targus from the video, and a small 4 port USB 2.0 hub from ihome that I picked up at a store in town.

Both of them power on, so I know it's getting juice from the power pads. I can power up an external hdd with them both.

When I plug in a keyboard though, it just never seems to recognize it. I tried a mouse, but it seemed to glitch out the pi and restart it. I noticed the laser inside the mouse blinks slightly at first and doesn't really come back on after a few seconds.

Here's a pic of my setup. I'm just beginning to solder (first timer really), so it's not pretty, but the wires are in tight
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 8178 times
I tried the wire twist, and I soldered the ground and second pin on the other side of the micro USB port on the pi as suggested elsewhere. No luck. I'm feeling rather stuck and I'm hoping I have a breakthrough soon. Any input is helpful!! My apologies if this reads weird, I'm typing it on my phone.

fcib

Re: USB hub help!

Post by fcib » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 am

Ensure the wiring is correct. Refer to:

Also try this fix for the pads. I did it with mine and my pads work (for a single port, hub coming in the mail but should work):
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1345
^
Just noticed you did this.

Something to note, I had to get a new hub in the mail because after desoldering and resoldering the cable with plug a few times (to check all my soldered/extended ports worked with lsusb on my main machine) it stopped working. Double checked my wiring and it just refused to work (turned on, but not working). Got a new one on ebay for like 4.50 and should be here tomorrow. Probably going to turn down my soldering iron or keep things cooler this time since I think something got heat damaged.

Good luck :)

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:36 am

I had usb issues as well. My issue was a very small trace amount of solder was bridged between the D- and the mounting hold for the usb port on the other side of the Pi.

I SWORE there was nothing in between, but got out the soldering wick, and cleaned all those pads and around that area real good.

Sure enough, fixed my issue.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

sander

Post by sander » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I had quite some difficulty sourcing a cheap and small 4 port USB hub. The issue is that the Raspberry Pi Zero seems to be quite picky when it comes to USB hubs. It detects the hubs I got earlier fine but as soon as you connect a keyboard via the hub it just does not show up at all (no output in dmesg or lsusb). However when connecting the same hub to my laptop it worked fine. I found a hub based upon the FE1.1s USB hub IC by Terminus Technology Inc that works really well and does not have the keyboard issue. I removed all the USB plugs on the hub to save space and placed one of these connectors in the ext. connector port in the case.

You may want to check dmesg output to see if your hub was detected at all first. If so a keyboard should work, if it does not
work try to use the hub I used:
http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title ... SB_2.0_HUB

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:48 pm

WoodMill wrote:I had usb issues as well. My issue was a very small trace amount of solder was bridged between the D- and the mounting hold for the usb port on the other side of the Pi.

I SWORE there was nothing in between, but got out the soldering wick, and cleaned all those pads and around that area real good.

Sure enough, fixed my issue.

There might be something to this. I think I see a small bridge of solder. I will try removing it, thanks!

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Well I used the de-soldering braid on the D+ D- and resoldered to no avail with the iHome hub. I decided as a last effort that I would try the Targus hub and braid the wires, which I hadn't done before...and it worked! I wish I knew exactly what the problem before was, but I am going to blame it on a bridged solder connection. I just hope it works after everything else is set up in the end.

At least I know that my Pi can read the keyboard. I guess the lesson is to not give up :P

Thanks so much everybody! I appreciate everyones help.

FreddyMro

Post by FreddyMro » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:29 am

For others:

Check out this post, the solution might also work.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2211

The8BitMonkey

Post by The8BitMonkey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi there, new here but I had a similar issue myself.
turned out that the ampage of my usb plug was to low, for me anything below 1.8 amps would result in what you have described.

Hope that is of some help to you.