Largest Battery Size

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
skinrust

Largest Battery Size

Post by skinrust » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:59 pm

So I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find much on the topic of battery size. Wermy's wiki suggests the adafruit 2500mAH (51mm x 65mm x 8mm) is just about the largest to fit comfortably, but I've seen several builds that have bigger. I have no qualms dissecting the interior of the case (assuming there's a way to keep it together after all's said and done), and wont be using the cartridge slot (except to put a cartridge in as a cover, which again can be dremeled and glued). I've got Helders All-In-One.
So what is the largest size battery that can be fit inside a DMG shell?

fcib

Re: Largest Battery Size

Post by fcib » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 am

skinrust wrote:So I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find much on the topic of battery size. Wermy's wiki suggests the adafruit 2500mAH (51mm x 65mm x 8mm) is just about the largest to fit comfortably, but I've seen several builds that have bigger. I have no qualms dissecting the interior of the case (assuming there's a way to keep it together after all's said and done), and wont be using the cartridge slot (except to put a cartridge in as a cover, which again can be dremeled and glued). I've got Helders All-In-One.
So what is the largest size battery that can be fit inside a DMG shell?
You can fit much larger than the 2500mAh one you mentioned, the problem is removing it from the case without disassembly. I noticed that fitting it vertically (65mm going up/down same as the case) it is a tight squeeze to get it through the hole, so you have to sort of slot it in. The horizontal size if limited by the distance between the two battery bay screw holes, but vertically just depends on how much space you have behind your button board up towards the cartridge slot. If you glue a false cartridge, use an AIO board and mount your power boost towards the top, it would leave you with a lot of space behind the buttons to place a long battery in the back of the case (or multiple in parallel, but I hear that has issues with safety & charging).

Best of luck. :D

skinrust

Post by skinrust » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks!
Does it have to be removed often? You could likely fit in a larger one if not.
I'm only asking because I'm looking at batteries on ebay and some sellers have a wide array of lipo's with a wide variance in sizes. I'd love to fit a 4000-5000 mAH lipo in if possible.

fcib

Post by fcib » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:10 pm

skinrust wrote:Thanks!
I'm only asking because I'm looking at batteries on ebay and some sellers have a wide array of lipo's with a wide variance in sizes. I'd love to fit a 4000-5000 mAH lipo in if possible.
Doesn't have to be removed often, mine stays in all the time.

AAH, I just realised that the battery compartment clip will block you fitting a larger battery. You might have to remove it and glue in the cover if you want a larger battery, sorry that slipped my mind before.

Be careful not to buy shitty batteries from ebay, their capacity may not be as listed.

skinrust

Post by skinrust » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:23 pm

fcib wrote:
skinrust wrote:Thanks!
Doesn't have to be removed often, mine stays in all the time.

AAH, I just realised that the battery compartment clip will block you fitting a larger battery. You might have to remove it and glue in the cover if you want a larger battery, sorry that slipped my mind before.

Be careful not to buy shitty batteries from ebay, their capacity may not be as listed.
Yeah, ebay is the best choice for me as far as i can tell. I live in Canada and theres a 50$ handling fee for importing lipos for some reason. Canadian retailers dont have much selection for high capacity. The chinese sellers on ebay send them in packages marked for other products, so they skirt the fee. And theyre mighty cheap in comparison. I can live with a battery marked for 5k that is only 4200. As another user pointed out in another thread i was in (I can link if you like), i could buy 5 off ebay for the price of importing 1 from adafruit.
As for the clip, that can always be glue like you said. Not too concerned about it.

onesojourner

Post by onesojourner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:11 am

IS there any reason not to use a battery from a cell phone that has a removable battery? It looks like a something like an extended battery for something like a samsung galaxy s3/s4 would fit great. https://www.amazon.com/PowerBear-Samsun ... ed+battery

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:02 pm

onesojourner wrote:IS there any reason not to use a battery from a cell phone that has a removable battery? It looks like a something like an extended battery for something like a samsung galaxy s3/s4 would fit great. https://www.amazon.com/PowerBear-Samsun ... ed+battery
In my first build I used a galaxy note 3 battery (3200 mAh, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Original-OEM ... SwpDdU8z-0)

I put it in the cartridge slot, with a modifed game shell to cover it. This worked out very well, only sketchy part was soldering directly to the battery terminals, in my 2nd build I just used an adafruit 2500 mAh flat battery like the guide.

skinrust

Post by skinrust » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:22 pm

onesojourner wrote:IS there any reason not to use a battery from a cell phone that has a removable battery? It looks like a something like an extended battery for something like a samsung galaxy s3/s4 would fit great. https://www.amazon.com/PowerBear-Samsun ... ed+battery
The only reason not to use a cellphone battery (as rodocop pointed out) is that it can be dangerous to solder directly to the terminals. The adafruit battery (and most lipo's you buy) have existing wires coming off the battery. When soldering to a cell battery, you have to be careful not to heat it up as it can damage the internal structure (sometimes you wont notice this until you power it up). Without heating the battery terminal itself up, you also have greater chance for a cold solder joint.
That being said, the battery you linked looks great to me. You would still have to cut out part of the battery compartment, but i think it should fit. I have yet to order one, and am just staring to seriously put my build together. I've been looking on ebay for a solid lipo, but i might have to give this one a shot. Thanks

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:27 pm

I was able to fit a 5000 mAh battery, but it needed to be in the space the cartridge is.

BMO_16

Post by BMO_16 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:22 pm

I manage to drop my S4 in water so I used the battery for the build. Got to slowly low heat the terminals so the inside do not get very hot and to prevent cold solder. Also the S4 battery huge so it can be a problem.