Mounting the (non-Adafruit) screen upside down?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
ylwsub68

Mounting the (non-Adafruit) screen upside down?

Post by ylwsub68 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:48 am

I got one of the non-Adafruit screens we've talked about and noticed, when I have it centered in the case, that the bottom bezel comes down into where the controller board and X-Y buttons are. I feel like they won't be able to coexist like this, so I got the idea of mounting the screen upside down (and modifying config files to rotate the screen 180 degrees).

This puts the large bottom bezel up at the top and allows me to vertically center the screen without overlapping the controller board. However, this puts the display's ribbon cable coming out of the top of the screen instead of the bottom. Will that adversely affect the effectiveness of the mounting bracket built in guide 3 or does it really matter? Will that affect the rest of the build at all?

I got the screen from Amazon seller "ATian Direct." Did anyone else run into this? What did you end up doing? Thanks!

CandyManCriminal

Re: Mounting the (non-Adafruit) screen upside down?

Post by CandyManCriminal » Mon May 16, 2016 8:54 am

i mounted my screen upsidedown, had no room to do it otherwise
my screen (the niceshopping screen) has built in screen flip so that worked out
just need to be careful with the ribbon cable, should be fine

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Mon May 16, 2016 10:01 am

ylwsub68 wrote:I got one of the non-Adafruit screens we've talked about and noticed, when I have it centered in the case, that the bottom bezel comes down into where the controller board and X-Y buttons are. I feel like they won't be able to coexist like this, so I got the idea of mounting the screen upside down (and modifying config files to rotate the screen 180 degrees).

This puts the large bottom bezel up at the top and allows me to vertically center the screen without overlapping the controller board. However, this puts the display's ribbon cable coming out of the top of the screen instead of the bottom. Will that adversely affect the effectiveness of the mounting bracket built in guide 3 or does it really matter? Will that affect the rest of the build at all?

I got the screen from Amazon seller "ATian Direct." Did anyone else run into this? What did you end up doing? Thanks!

Get to a console with either a keyboard or SSH.

then Type:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
At the bottom of the file add the following line.

display_rotate=2 180 degrees
Then press Ctrl-X and then Y to save.

then

sudo reboot
This worked for my SPI Bust screen, I would assume it would work with any video output.

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 am

Sorry,

Didn't read your post completely before posting the above reply. It shouldn't effect any thing else. The mounting I cant help with.

I'll leave the other post in case someone else finds this and wants the know how to rotate the screen.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Tue May 17, 2016 1:31 am

CandyManCriminal wrote:i mounted my screen upsidedown, had no room to do it otherwise
@CandyManCriminal
I bought mine from nice shopping too.. How do you use the screen flip.. Is it done with the controller buttons from the back?

Did you have any outher trouble mounting it upside down besides being careful with the ribbon?
Last edited by Thatbraziliann on Wed May 18, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xorxfon

Post by Xorxfon » Tue May 17, 2016 3:46 am

My post isn't about having the screen upside down but I would like to know (if a redirect is necessary than so be it) if anyone knows if I need to remove anything from the non adafruit screen to make it work with 5v. I have tried to test the connections with my multimeter but I don't know what to make of the readings I get. If there is a guide I would like to thank anyone who can redirect me.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 3:58 am

Xorxfon wrote:My post isn't about having the screen upside down but I would like to know (if a redirect is necessary than so be it) if anyone knows if I need to remove anything from the non adafruit screen to make it work with 5v. I have tried to test the connections with my multimeter but I don't know what to make of the readings I get. If there is a guide I would like to thank anyone who can redirect me.
This may help you: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 41&t=17651 :)

CandyManCriminal

Post by CandyManCriminal » Wed May 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Thatbraziliann wrote:
CandyManCriminal wrote:i mounted my screen upsidedown, had no room to do it otherwise
@CandyManCriminal
I bought mine from nice shopping too.. How do you use the screen flip.. Is it done with the controller buttons from the back?

Did you have any outher trouble mounting it upside down besides being careful with the ribbon?
Yeah, just use the buttons
There's a flip option

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Sun May 22, 2016 12:04 pm

CandyManCriminal wrote:
Thatbraziliann wrote:
@CandyManCriminal

Yeah, just use the buttons
There's a flip option
Theres no flip option on mine it just goes bright,contrast,sat, language,reset.. Is it hard to do it the way @prerunnerseth mentioned? I just dont understand how to get to control screen.. When my pi starts up it goes straigh to emulationstation

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Sun May 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Press F4 to get to a console.