Unibit vs. regular drill bit

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
RhinoNigel

Unibit vs. regular drill bit

Post by RhinoNigel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 pm

A lot of people are saying to use a unibit, but all I own are regular drill bits. Should I buy a unibit because it's a superior tool? Or does it not matter?

Anyone have experience using regular drill bits?

Thanks!

Lphillimore

Re: Unibit vs. regular drill bit

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:39 pm

I've not yet started but looking at the Wiki, Wermys first Zero shows him drilling pilot holes and using a regular drill.

http://sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-1/

Results look good / same as using a Unibit I think it just takes a little longer to do.

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 am

If you move up slowly in drill bit sizes you should be ok

The good things about a unique bit is that it is a straight fluted cutting edge

The risk with a drill bit is it's a upward twist cutter so as it removes material it also pulls it upward which can cause chips and even snag the drill as it breaks through

Sorry for the A*greek answer

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:28 am

jellybelly wrote:The good things about a unique bit is that it is a straight fluted cutting edge
The risk with a drill bit is it's a upward twist cutter so as it removes material it also pulls it upward which can cause chips and even snag the drill as it breaks through
the translation for this is that with the uni-bit, you'll get a cleaner, more accurate, rounder hole.

with going up in regular bits, you won't necessarily get a centered hole when you change up. you also tend to get slightly triangular holes when you do this. finally on the tip of a regular drill is actually a brake, which stops the drill from just ripping through the material. once the brake penetrates the other side, the twist drill will tear through the final part, often causing exit 'wounds'

one way to alleviate this is to use a wood bit instead of a metal bit as the cutting action is more akin to carving. and you can go straight from pilot hole (a really small one) to final size as there's a centring point on a wood bit

marco

Post by marco » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:44 am

I've got little experience in this area but I recently found out that method would give a perfect finish:
*pilot hole at small diameter (like abrugsch keenly said) with drill press if you have
*then use metal drill at target hole diamter minus 1 also with drill press
*MANUALLY drill with metal drill at target hole diameter (I mean take the drill bit in your hand and turn it in the hole).

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am

a unibit costs like 5 bucks on ebay and is totally worth it for this project.... so many people still have shitty looking holes in their builds, i have no idea why, with a unibit it is almost impossible to screw that up.
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

Floob

Post by Floob » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm new around here, but believe me when I say I have some experience with shop tools... The unibit, even when bought local for $18 or so will last a lifetime when used on plastics, and will save you hours in frustration over those many years. Not only does it do nicer work, but when backing the drill out it's less prone to snag because the size reduces. It's just an all around cleaner bit for this project.

One of the problems I have with using drill presses and trying to use a pilot hole is in the dreaded chuck wobble... With a unibit, once that hole is started the bit will be steadied and will stay that way through the growth of the hole. With a metal bit every time you remove and upsize the bit, you go back in wobbly... It can be stressful :)

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Floob wrote:I'm new around here, but believe me when I say I have some experience with shop tools... The unibit, even when bought local for $18 or so will last a lifetime when used on plastics, and will save you hours in frustration over those many years. Not only does it do nicer work, but when backing the drill out it's less prone to snag because the size reduces. It's just an all around cleaner bit for this project.

One of the problems I have with using drill presses and trying to use a pilot hole is in the dreaded chuck wobble... With a unibit, once that hole is started the bit will be steadied and will stay that way through the growth of the hole. With a metal bit every time you remove and upsize the bit, you go back in wobbly... It can be stressful :)
yes. this. and if you're especially paranoid about fucking up you can just drill in the unibit by hand, reeeaaally slowly, without any risk of doing unwanted damage.
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 am

if you are really good by hand you could get away with a regular drill bit.
Tough I totally screw up my first attempt at GBZ with this..
I bought a unibit and it went perfect first try.
You should try on scrap GB part if you have some laying around
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

RhinoNigel

Post by RhinoNigel » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks guys! I ended up ordering a unibit off of kitsch bent for $4 :D