New Build

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
dadi4168

New Build

Post by dadi4168 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi all,

First post but I've been lurking in the shadows for a while. I'm currently collecting parts for the build, a Gameboy Zero. I've been watching the videos you fine people have posted when something occurred to me. some of you have used the original off white Gameboy case and some the transparent cases. I'm thinking there's a difference in how you mod these? I would think the clear cases are more brittle than the others? I'd feel terrible if I went to pull the standoffs off my clear blue case with a pair of pliers only to crack the case itself. Just a thought.

Also I'm patiently awaiting a chance to score an AIO board from Kite or Helder. Depending on which becomes available changes my parts list.

I'm ordering another soldering iron, as I don't feel the one I have will be good enough. I need a finer tip and a way to regulate it. I've done soldering projects before, so I'm confident I can do this. I recapped a gamegear last year.

So thanks for reading and maybe I'll post when I start building, unless it's rubbish, then I won't....

Lphillimore

Re: New Build

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 am

Yo, good luck on the upcoming build!

As for cases, modding them will be the same technically, as far as I'm aware there is no difference in terms of how brittle they are. I guess if you get a particularly poorly made one there might be but all the eBay shells I have are fine.

Ive just started doing a clear case and it seems just as good as my solid white one that I recently completed.

Only thing to note on clear case builds is that and dremmel marks, even the clipped down joins etc show more obviously from the outside whereas solid colours obviously don't. May affect the overall look and might be important to some people.

Finally, regarding a soldering iron I definitely recommend a temperature regulated one with a variety of tips.

A 3rd hand, too! This was a MUST for me and in my opinion made the project possible.

@abrugsch Will testify to this and has an awesome guide that's worth covering before you start.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:52 am

indeed! they are most useful (guide in my sig...)
however even better are the 4 or 6-hand holders floating around... I'll see if I can find a link (There's a pic in my soldering guide thread)
edit:
here you go. probably the most ultimate soldering helping hands you can get:

http://www.banggood.com/Realacc-Strange ... 81818.html

BTW it's also trivially easy to make your own of those. the arms are just coolant pipes for spraying gunk onto industrial cutting machines. CNC lathes etc. (search for lathe cnc coolant pipe.) As such they are really cheap. just combine them with a heavy board and some alligator clips and viola! cheapo soldering station

dadi4168

Post by dadi4168 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 pm

abrugsch wrote:indeed! they are most useful (guide in my sig...)
however even better are the 4 or 6-hand holders floating around... I'll see if I can find a link (There's a pic in my soldering guide thread)
edit:
here you go. probably the most ultimate soldering helping hands you can get:

http://www.banggood.com/Realacc-Strange ... 81818.html

BTW it's also trivially easy to make your own of those. the arms are just coolant pipes for spraying gunk onto industrial cutting machines. CNC lathes etc. (search for lathe cnc coolant pipe.) As such they are really cheap. just combine them with a heavy board and some alligator clips and viola! cheapo soldering station
Wow, that's like Doc Oct's helping hands...nice...