Power Bank Boost plate!

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
rodocop

Re: Power Bank Boost plate!

Post by rodocop » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Yeah mine both got hot. But I'm sure sure how hot exactly. Or if it was abnormal, I think they will always get a bit hot. Next time I open mine up I'll feel the temp.

I haven't had any issues with low battery. On my first build I had no safe shutdown and it would just shut off when the battery was low/dead, I don't remember it restarting. then I would charge. (I sold this one so I can't test it anymore)

2nd build has the safe shutdown by camble and it warns me.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 pm

rodocop wrote:Yeah mine both got hot. But I'm sure sure how hot exactly. Or if it was abnormal, I think they will always get a bit hot. Next time I open mine up I'll feel the temp.

I haven't had any issues with low battery. On my first build I had no safe shutdown and it would just shut off when the battery was low/dead, I don't remember it restarting. then I would charge. (I sold this one so I can't test it anymore)

2nd build has the safe shutdown by camble and it warns me.
Thanks. Mine got pretty warm yesterday after being on for over an hour. No adverse affects noted however just felt hotter than my build with a Powerboost.
I touched the actual module yesterday while open and was definitely too hot to keep my finger on it​ for long. Normal behaviour by the sounds of it though so all good.

Don't have a safe shutdown so may wire in a low battery LED instead. 8-)

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:01 am

rodocop wrote:It would cost way too much to have a power boost shipped from adafruit to Canada, so I got a few of these and have never had issues.
FWIW, most major metropolitan areas in Canada have at least one electronics supply store that sells Adafruit stuff. If you can do a local pick up, it's a lot cheaper than ordering from the US; if you're having it shipped within Canada, it will still be significantly cheaper.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 am

@ICMF

Yeah, I may have been able to find something local but I couldn't seem to find anything in Saskatoon (didn't look too hard though, but I found a vendor is British Colombia though for future purchases), but even so it was much cheaper to get a few of these from banggood vs the powerboost 1000 from adafruit (or adafruit vendor).