SD Card posible alternative : Update

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
VeteranGamer

SD Card posible alternative : Update

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:15 pm

i've ordered a couple of these and am waiting for them to be delivered

I actually wanted the one from Kitsch Bent, but theyve been out of stock for a while, so started looking for a posible alternative.

i also see ppl are having issues with using basic sd card adapter and the pi not recognising that there is an SD card, this might be worth exploring

these cost next to nothing so i thought its worth a try....

http://www.banggood.com/3_3V5V-Micro-SD ... 64192.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-3V-5V-SPI-S ... SwrnNXQBTI

let me know what you guys think....

Update: received them today, and it looks promising... wont get a chance to actually test until the weekend so watch this space

Last edited by VeteranGamer on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lphillimore

Re: SD Card posible alternative

Post by Lphillimore » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 am

Tempted to buy a couple as they are so cheap and like how they will essentially allow you to place the SD card anywhere you like.

Nice find :ugeek:

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:00 am

Lphillimore wrote:Tempted to buy a couple as they are so cheap and like how they will essentially allow you to place the SD card anywhere you like.

Nice find :ugeek:

Thanks,

i'm gonna place mine (hopefully) in a gameboy cartridge by modifying (dremel out a piece) the existing game board (and also desolder the pins), im hoping that the item has the filtering covered and it will make the wiring alot more easier as ever point is labeled...

plus at that cost, even if it doesnt work its not a stress

marketus

Post by marketus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:34 pm

I tried several times with an SD adaptor and the reading problem is about the electrical noise. I'm thinking about buying one of those boards too, but the pinout of that board you need to solder it to the game cartridge, this will add more noise to the circuit... :( The problem is not the adaptor, its the wiring from the pins to the gold pads in the cartridge

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:03 pm

marketus wrote:I tried several times with an SD adaptor and the reading problem is about the electrical noise. I'm thinking about buying one of those boards too, but the pinout of that board you need to solder it to the game cartridge, this will add more noise to the circuit... :( The problem is not the adaptor, its the wiring from the pins to the gold pads in the cartridge
this is an alternative to the sd card adapter,

but by the looks of it, it has built in filtering (which should reduce the noise)... and the labled pin outs are good so it makes wiring easier (fool proof)...

you still have to use a gameboy cart (which can be picked up for a couple of £/$/euro), plus the cost of this board its still a very low cost option.. if you wanna spend $20-30 for a pre build board thats might be a safe bet.

im still waiting for mine to be delivered (coming from China) so cant say for certain if its a winner... but at the cost its worth a shot

marketus

Post by marketus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Yes, I'll try it too. 30€ for a build one it's a lot in my opinion. anyway I'll do a PCB myself without the gold pins of course :lol:

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:30 pm

marketus wrote:Yes, I'll try it too. 30€ for a build one it's a lot in my opinion. anyway I'll do a PCB myself without the gold pins of course :lol:

yeah... you'll have to remove the pins or you wont be able to close the cartridge case....

i would also suggest if/when you get one to wire it first directly up to the Pi0, that way you know it works and the Pi0 recognises the SD card... that way if you have an issue later you can check if is the cartridge wiring or cartridge reader wiring that may be at fault...

just a thought... good luck if you do try, hopefully it will work out better than the sd card adapter...

RhinoNigel

Re: SD Card posible alternative : Update

Post by RhinoNigel » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Does anyone know if the wiring to the gpio pins is the same for a pi3?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 am

RhinoNigel wrote:Does anyone know if the wiring to the gpio pins is the same for a pi3?

are you looking for gpio or where the points are for the sd card

Pi3

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 am

Attachments
Micro-SD-TF-Memory-Card-Kit-Male-to-Female-Extension-Soft-Flat-FPC-Cable-Extender-10cm.jpg
Micro-SD-TF-Memory-Card-Kit-Male-to-Female-Extension-Soft-Flat-FPC-Cable-Extender-10cm.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 8838 times