USB audio wiring - confused!

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
winnston84

USB audio wiring - confused!

Post by winnston84 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 pm

I really could do with some guidance on wiring up my USB audio. Components I have are:
  • Adafruit 2.5w mono amp
  • Sabrent USB
I've tried to interpret the USB guide into these components, but i'm doing something wrong and being a complete novice I could really do with some clear advice!

With the audio jack, I have no idea what is L/R in/out, but i do know the 2 left pins are connected on the multimeter and the 2 right pins are connected. I've assumed from this, and looking at the 3.5mm jack diagram, that the outer two are L/R out and inner two are L/R in.

Here is how I've wired this up. All i get is hissing/static noise once i plug the USB into my PC and play audio. I know audio is coming out, because ive left the green 3.5mm jack on the USB for now and it plays fine through that. Please help!

jermzz

Re: USB audio wiring - confused!

Post by jermzz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:01 pm

I've never done USB audio, but I can tell you I have a bag of the same b103's i can't get to work properly using any wiring diagram on here. But as soon as I switched to the b10k from RadioShack everything worked fantastic. I'm thinking the pin outs are different or something.

winnston84

Post by winnston84 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:34 am

I have had working audio with the b103 and Pwm method,but I have a lot of feedback/hissing so I decided to switch.

winnston84

Post by winnston84 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:40 am

I've wired up the USB audio directly to a speaker, works fine. As soon as I wire in the 2.5w amp, lots of feedback/hissing. Here''s how i wired it:

redled

Post by redled » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:21 pm

winnston84 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:40 am
I've wired up the USB audio directly to a speaker, works fine. As soon as I wire in the 2.5w amp, lots of feedback/hissing.
Any updates?

I'm doing a similar build but only tried hooking up directly from Sabrent USB audio device to speaker and it sounded good enough on most games so I'm going to wire it directly now.

Do you have any wiring photos or tips?

akstein

Post by akstein » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:41 am

I had the same problem myself. Assuming the wiring is all correct the potentiometer wheel was my problem. Having changed it fix my problem and I was getting sound from both the speaker and the headphones.

Good luck!