Poor feeling D-pad & buttons

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
dcex1

Poor feeling D-pad & buttons

Post by dcex1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Just got to the point in my build when I'm testing out the d-pad and buttons when all is enclosed, but both feel not great and also have quite a loud clicking noise. Don't know if I'm just being fussy, so want to know if anyone else has found this and come up with a good solution? I have tried three different silicon pads, none of which make a difference :/

Thank you!!

Lphillimore

Re: Poor feeling D-pad & buttons

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am

@dcex1 Do you have pics?

Could be anything from mis-aligned button wells, bad buttons, pads in wrong place etc?

Are the orignal buttons OK, as in A and B

Is it just X and Y?

On my 2nd build the X and Y are very slightly more sunken had to re-glue one of my button wells as i hadnt noticed it move and caused a button to catch on press.

To answer your question though, no all buttons should work nicely.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 am

i personally haven't tried this but if you check this youtube vid (4:10) he does a button mod... this may help

https://youtu.be/DEw2Pv4OpCQ

AustenFM

Post by AustenFM » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:09 am

I've noticed this problem with a lot of repro silicone button pads I've encountered and unfortunately you cant do anything to make the silicone softer. They have too much 'spring' and the buttons click the case as a result. If you can get a hold of original DMG pads those work best and have the perfect tactile feel, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Origi ... SwWxNYt5UQ They are a bit pricier than reproductions but if you want that smooth button response this is your best bet.

Good luck!

dcex1

Post by dcex1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks guys! Yeh, I may end up going for some original silicon membrane pads. However I did just try what VeteranGamer suggested in that video, and it worked a treat on the d-pad!! Not as well on the buttons, but may just require trying different materials/thicknesses. So thank you! Really helped me out!!