USB DAC (7.1) Audio Wiring

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Lphillimore

USB DAC (7.1) Audio Wiring

Post by Lphillimore » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 am

Anybody used one of these '7.1' adapters for their USB DAC Audio?
41wuZjdQpwL._SY355_.jpg
41wuZjdQpwL._SY355_.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
I have opened it up, removed the jacks and the USB but there are more pads / terminals than on the ones most people are using. (6 per side_

Here's what it looks like inside:
20170311_123911.jpg
20170311_123911.jpg (4.5 MiB) Viewed 8625 times
I have this, plus an Adafruit mono amp so trying to decipher the wiring.

I also have a 5 pin potentiometer.

Many thanks
Last edited by Lphillimore on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lphillimore

Re: USB 7.1 Audio Wiring

Post by Lphillimore » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:20 am

Is anybody able to assist with this?

UPDATE:

I have enabled the USB sound thanks to @chiz for the guide.

I have also wired this up to the USB hub inside my GBZ. All OK.

To test sound I then wired it to the Adafruit amp and then directly onto the speaker, missing out the potentiometer at this point.

Sound works but not great. (Super Mario World on SNES intro sounds like parts of the music are missing).

That said it doesnt seem to matter which of the pads i wire up from within the red area, sound still works the same:
usb7.1 2.png
usb7.1 2.png (235.19 KiB) Viewed 8596 times
Unsure what each of these pads actually are or if there are specific ones i should use. Seems quite specific on Sabrent version and wiring diagrams?

I then saw this:
IsXwWAI.png
IsXwWAI.png (602 KiB) Viewed 8596 times
When I wired 2 pads (again random from this USB audio) both joined to the + on the Adafruit amp it improves the sound quality. (Mario intro plays normally).

1) Has anyone used a simliar USB Audio device?
2) Has anyone wired up USB audio with an Adafruit mono amp and 5 pin potentiometer and have a diagram / any advice?
3) Should i await the arrival of the standard USB audio device and amps used in this guide:

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... +oem+audio

Cheers

Awesomenatious

Re: USB DAC (7.1) Audio Wiring

Post by Awesomenatious » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:58 am

I'm about to attempt this with the Sabrent card so I will report back with pictures of any working set ups and so on. I've been putting off doing the audio because I have no skills in programming or soldering or of any kind... lol

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Awesomenatious wrote:I'm about to attempt this with the Sabrent card so I will report back with pictures of any working set ups and so on. I've been putting off doing the audio because I have no skills in programming or soldering or of any kind... lol
Im actually going back to PWM as I didn't realise that USB audio doesn't support OMXPlayer that's responsible for splashscreen audio. Annoying and a deal breaker on my current build.

Will use USB audio on future builds however and likely just use the knowm Sabrent types :ugeek:

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 pm

I didn't know it would effect the splash screen audio either.
I'm learning so much here. Lol
I feel well out of my depth when ever there's a deviation.
I'm using slightly different components to both of Wermy's guides, which puts my build in a limbo inbetween both of his versions. Makes it very daunting for a Noob like me. I have no skills in Linux or programming or electronics etc, I'm literally learning as I go. And trying to work it out as I do it.
I think the Card reader/cartridge mod is both beyond me. And not something I need to complicate my life with. But then I fell like, why am I doing this if not to challenge myself.
I'm conflicted about how far to push myself and the build. If it looks good and works, no one I know will know the difference. They won't be admiring my wiring or any of my innovations. Lol
You guys would know, you'd call me on my laziness and talent voids. But we can't all be Wermy Level... right? :-)

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 pm

@Awesomenatious

There's always something to learn here :D I started off in exactly the same boat and have learned a lot in a few months. Still always have questions but there's always someone in here or a post, thread etc. with the answer.

I wouldn't worry about mixing parts and not following an exact build. You can mix up the core components any which way you like really. Just search the forums and ask around.

As for the cart reader, personally I found this bit easy. I used the PRS tech cart as opposed to making one (Wermys first guide). Wiring the cart reader to the Pi was also pretty straight forward and I've had no issues using it. Just take your time and test 8-)

I recently completed my first build (see signature) and im pretty happy with it. I've since re-seated my Pi and exposed the HDMI again, too for completeness.

Looking back on my first build I was scared of messing up, mainly for fear of breaking things, having to start again, waiting on parts etc.... no im pretty confident with what I doing but like anything else....as soon as you change something it poses more questions / problems to solve, like the USB audio as above.

Im currently building my 2nd GBZ using a simple Button PCB, teensy etc. Everything Is done except for the sound. As of last night I made and tested my Low Pass filter so this week ill wire up the volume pot and headphone jack etc. Then im just waiting on custom cart labels and the screen cover from Dominator :D

Good luck with your build - feel free to ask and Q's and if I can help I will.

If you're using an AIO by the way then @helder has a thread in Lounge full of info! :P

Awesomenatious

Post by Awesomenatious » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks for the support and offer for help, I will now doubt be back to take advantage of that.
I've broken a screen already and wasted time replacing it. I have my Teensy programmed. And I'm using a simple Kitsch Bent PCB for the buttons. So, it's Not and AIO but is about the same as the first wermy fife in the latter end of the controls.
Sound and power are next for me. Have just finished filing my switch down to fit info the GB Switch cover.

Ryan

Lphillimore wrote:@Awesomenatious

There's always something to learn here :D I started off in exactly the same boat and have learned a lot in a few months. Still always have questions but there's always someone in here or a post, thread etc. with the answer.

I wouldn't worry about mixing parts and not following an exact build. You can mix up the core components any which way you like really. Just search the forums and ask around.

As for the cart reader, personally I found this bit easy. I used the PRS tech cart as opposed to making one (Wermys first guide). Wiring the cart reader to the Pi was also pretty straight forward and I've had no issues using it. Just take your time and test 8-)

I recently completed my first build (see signature) and im pretty happy with it. I've since re-seated my Pi and exposed the HDMI again, too for completeness.

Looking back on my first build I was scared of messing up, mainly for fear of breaking things, having to start again, waiting on parts etc.... no im pretty confident with what I doing but like anything else....as soon as you change something it poses more questions / problems to solve, like the USB audio as above.

Im currently building my 2nd GBZ using a simple Button PCB, teensy etc. Everything Is done except for the sound. As of last night I made and tested my Low Pass filter so this week ill wire up the volume pot and headphone jack etc. Then im just waiting on custom cart labels and the screen cover from Dominator :D

Good luck with your build - feel free to ask and Q's and if I can help I will.

If you're using an AIO by the way then @helder has a thread in Lounge full of info! :P
Attachments
IMG_4118.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 8544 times
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 8544 times

winnston84

Re: USB 7.1 Audio Wiring

Post by winnston84 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:37 pm

I see my wiring above - I couldn't get the 2.5W amp working with my setup, so in the end I went with this USB DAC/amp:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171898196952? ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2578557543

And i wired it up as per this, based on some other posts i read on here:

This works flawlessly for me. Hope that helps!