White Screen of Death!!

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
negrete35

White Screen of Death!!

Post by negrete35 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:34 pm

PHOTO 1. I can't seem to get away from the white screen of death. I have BW screen variant 8 as indicated by the wiki. I have completed the version two 5v modification. Below, I have white only connected. Both the yellow and the white provide the same thing. Just the white screen.

PHOTO 2. As well as when I have both connected. Just the white screen. I know that they are 2 different inputs, but I thought I would try because of Photo 3 in this post.

PHOTO 3. This photo I found on screen input request thread. This is why I also tried to have both the white and yellow connected at the same time. Seems to work for him, and in the other photos in his post (it's page 7 or 8) he seems to have the same variant of the BW screen that I do.

***please excuse the structure of this post. I havent figured this photo adding thing yet****

This really sucks. Haha. Broke the first screen, this one just came in and can't figure it out. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the ribbon cable as well. I can't find any other recommendations. Here's to hoping I don't have to buy a third screen.

Please HELP!!
Attachments
IMG_0270.JPG
PHOTO 3
IMG_0270.JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 5024 times
IMG_0271.JPG
PHOTO 2
IMG_0271.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 5024 times
IMG_0273.JPG
PHOTO 1
IMG_0273.JPG (2.15 MiB) Viewed 5024 times

negrete35

Re: White Screen of Death!!

Post by negrete35 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:13 am

I figured I wold try to force composite out to see if that would do anything. I couldnt figure it out. :-( I wish I were more technical. So then I thought I would try a different OS, I flashed Rasbian on an SD card, still stuck with the white screen of death! No fun.

Hoping someone can tell me something magic so I dont have to buy another screen. Theyre not terribly expensive, but the wife isnt a fan of this project. lol. So, trying to avoid that route.

Thanks!!

negrete35

Post by negrete35 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Ok, so it's alive. YAY! But, can anyone tell my why folding the controller board back under the screen might have "fixed" it?
Attachments
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 4976 times

Relithe

Post by Relithe » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Who knows. Had the EXACT same screen come in yesterday. It was white-screened out of the box. These things are trash, this is the third one I have gotten that has been absolute crap. I just ordered one on ebay (just the screen and board, not a backup camera) and if that one doesn't work I quit. This is nuts. The QC on these things is nonexistent.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:46 am

My assumption is that the ribbon cable was moved when you folded it which brought it back to life. The cables are delicate and if not secured properly can cause white screens if i remember correctly.