Uses for two sets of should buttons?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Chrisagu28

Uses for two sets of should buttons?

Post by Chrisagu28 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:02 am

Hey everybody. So I have been setting up my build and got everything figured out. I planned on using a single set of shoulder buttons cause the some of the simple consoles could use them like SNES.

I am not plan on playing PS or N64 due to lack of processor power of the pi zero I will be using. So is there a reason to install/setup a second set of should buttons besides those two consoles? I can't think of anything other reason to benefit from the extra buttons.

ICMF

Re: Uses for two sets of should buttons?

Post by ICMF » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:43 am

Hotkeys? IIRC Select + L2/R2 let you load and save games. Or you could add custom hotkeys in Retropie. Change exit from Start+Select to L2+R2? A bunch of games actually use Start/Select as a shortcut, but Retropie has it as 'exit emulator' as a default, which is kind of annoying. If you want to use any of the home computer emulators (Apple/C64/etc.), you might be able to program them to load ROMs, since they don't launch the same way.

In terms of actual gameplay though, you'd only need them for N64/PSX or later, which means you'd need a Pi3 in your build.

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 am

Yeah I could see the save and load states. I know consoles like NES and such that don't use all the buttons I can map new short cut keys via retroarch. Didn't think of that. I appreciate the input and helping me make my decision.

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm in the same situation; considering L2/R2 on my upcoming build. I don't plan on running PSX or N64, however they could come in handy with emulation commands. Maybe quicksave/quickload?

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 pm

RetroRocket wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:09 pm
I'm in the same situation; considering L2/R2 on my upcoming build. I don't plan on running PSX or N64, however they could come in handy with emulation commands. Maybe quicksave/quickload?
Yeah as mentioned in a previous comment, short cut keys and quick save and load are common. Also of course n64 and ps use them. I just don't want too many buttons on mine and trying to keep it simple and clean

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Yeah as mentioned in a previous comment, short cut keys and quick save and load are common. Also of course n64 and ps use them. I just don't want too many buttons on mine and trying to keep it simple and clean
Agreed. Are you planning on using OEM buttons or just the tactile switches like wermy used? If all that is exposed are the tiny nubs, it'd still be pretty clean, or cut out small rectangles of the DMG case itself to cap off the buttons and make if look reasonably flush.

I'm looking into modifying GBA SP shoulder buttons or 3DS XL ZL and ZR buttons since they are tiny.

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:46 pm

I have been going back and forth. I like the square buttons kite did in his build but I like the small simple buttons that wermy used. I ordered some small tactile buttons and will play with the idea of mounting them up. Thinking about the near the top of the case like I have seen a build before. I got big hands so certain spots for mounting the buttons are uncomfortable and aren't user friendly.

I would really like to see the 3ds buttons if you decide to go that route. I feel how small and square they are, that it would a good option.

Relithe

Post by Relithe » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am

Why not? I did it just because I wanted to. I used kitsch-bent's easy button PCBs and mounted them in the battery door. So now I have the two in the screw holes and two in the battery door.

I don't have a good picture of just the button assembly but I will take one when I get home. You can kind of see it here. I use black styrene sheet a ton.
Attachments
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 7185 times

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:58 am

I used an L1 and R1 like Wermy did in my first build, the small ones in the screw holes. That is sufficient, the only issues I ran into is I had my hotkey set to select, and some games use select so that was a bit annoying When trying to save/load etc... In my second build I stuck with the 2 buttons in the screw holes. But i also added an L2 button, which i put in the old power socket hole (I didn't use that spot for the micro usb so i figured I would fill it. My micro USB is in the cartridge). That is a nice spot since it doesn't take up much space at all. With that setup I use the L2 as my hot key instead of select. It's a little awkward to press, but I prefer that over using the select key.

I also have a bunch of these buttons, which I will use if I make another GBZ: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/28pcs-12x12x7-3m ... 4400baf136 They seem like they will be decent.