DMG Metal Shielding (technical question)

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
daboosa

DMG Metal Shielding (technical question)

Post by daboosa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am

Hi All,

Need someone's advice here....

So I have cut off a section of the metal shielding on my DMG housing and placed my power boost directly where it was to negate the need for anything between the metal and the board, ultimately to save space (see picture).

I've now got it in my head that metal shielding is necessary for protecting the cartridge from something or other. Am I right or does it not matter really?

I'm also using a custom game cartridge from Prerunnerseth.

Thanks

Daboosa :D
IMG_2949.JPG
IMG_2949.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 12441 times

fraggle

Re: DMG Metal Shielding (technical question)

Post by fraggle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am

The shield was there to prevent electromagnetic radiation escaping the device, just electrical radiation regulations really - the bit of writing on the back of the case refers to it.
"Complies with the limits for a class B computing device pursuant to Subpart J of Part 15 of EEC Rules"
FCC Part 15 is meant for "unintentional radiators". The category of unintentional radiators includes a wide variety of devices that contain clocks or oscillators and logic circuitry but that do not deliberately generate radio frequencies emissions - like a Gameboy.

It also works to help guide the cartridge into place and to prevent dust entering the body.

It isn't required by any means and originally didn't protect the cartridge from anything (and if it did, you aren't putting a Gameboy board in it!). I guess one issue you will have is light leaking from the SM LEDs on the Powerboost with the semi transparant case you have. That said you could always pop them off or something if this is an issue for you.

Removing the top half like you have seems like a really good idea actually - it gives a little more space and reduces the chance of it shorting the Powerboost. I might even go back and do the same to my first attempt :)

Hope that helps.
Last edited by fraggle on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

daboosa

Post by daboosa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 am

That is exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks for that very much appreciated.

I have gone for the transparent case on purpose so I can see the lights and see when the charging is complete on the battery and plan to stick some electric tape over the general power on LED.

Again really appreciate the reply :)

Daboosa

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:12 am

plan to stick some electric tape over the general power on LED.
Yes that's the one I meant - I just popped mine off (and the ones on the Teesny) with a fine scalpel.
I'd figured you meant to be able to see the others at the top :)
Last edited by fraggle on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

daboosa

Post by daboosa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

Wicked that sounds simple enough I'll do the same 👍🏼

Relithe

Post by Relithe » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:04 pm

I removed mine completely, cut a piece of black sheet styrene to fit that area, and glued it down and attached everything to that. The metal shielding just gets in the way and creates a potential shorting hazard.