Best way to countersink holes for extra buttons?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Chrisagu28

Best way to countersink holes for extra buttons?

Post by Chrisagu28 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 am

Hey everybody.

I am looking for advice to countersink or put a lip on the X/Y extra buttons I am drilling out.

I have seen various builds talk about using countersink bits, dremels, hand sanding, even using a drill bit at a small angel to achieve it.

Based on your experience, would do you think would be the best way to achieve this? I really enjoy the clean look it gives and would love to have it on my build. Thanks!

HoolyHoo

Re: Best way to countersink holes for extra buttons?

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:21 am

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 am
Hey everybody.

I am looking for advice to countersink or put a lip on the X/Y extra buttons I am drilling out.

I have seen various builds talk about using countersink bits, dremels, hand sanding, even using a drill bit at a small angel to achieve it.

Based on your experience, would do you think would be the best way to achieve this? I really enjoy the clean look it gives and would love to have it on my build. Thanks!
I did mine with a countersink bit. I think that's the way to go. Don't put it in a drill though. Put in in a 1/4 hex screwdriver and do it by hand. Comes out silky smooth. :D

Oh and I used a step drill bit to make the holes. Also did it by hand with the hex screwdriver holding the bit.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 am

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 am
Use a countersink bit. It's far and away the best, simplest way to add a bevel. Depending on the bit, if the cutting lip is sharp enough, you can even just twist the shank between your fingers to make the cut. If you're using hand tools (screwdriver, drill etc. vs. drill press, mill, etc.), you want to make the cut as slowly as possible, so you can check your progress and make sure it's centred, square and true, so you don't end up with a lopsided bevel.

As for dremels/drill bits/hand sanding... the biggest problem is that you won't be able to maintain a consistent angle and position while forming your bevel. If your cutting angle wobbles, your bevel will be uneven and won't form a perfect circle. If your position wobbles (the GB doesn't pivot around the exact centre of the button hole), your bevel will be uneven and won't form a perfect circle.

Also: Dremels are a terrible tool for any kind of precision work on plastic. They spin too fast, create too much friction, thus too much heat, and end up melting more than they cut.

Relithe

Post by Relithe » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 am

I used a 1/2 countersink bit and then sanded using my scale model hobby sanding stick thingys. Didn't think about doing it by hand, I used a drill. Would have saved a lot of work doing it that way I think. But it still came out good.

jostie94

Post by jostie94 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Did mine manually with a countersink bit. Put the case on a flat surface and gently scrape along the edge.
Or use a pillar drill at low speed.

SpoilerShow
my GBZ builds:
1) http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3197
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:34 pm

So the best idea is to use a countersink bit. Relithe mentioned a ½ countersink bit. Did anyone else use a different size before I order one? I already ordered a set down/up but to drill the buttons for the holes.

I really like the idea of going it by hand. Didn't even think of that. Thanks for input so far everybody.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:11 pm

As long as the diameter is larger than your hole, it doesn't really matter what size you go with.

Relithe

Post by Relithe » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:34 pm
So the best idea is to use a countersink bit. Relithe mentioned a ½ countersink bit. Did anyone else use a different size before I order one? I already ordered a set down/up but to drill the buttons for the holes.

I really like the idea of going it by hand. Didn't even think of that. Thanks for input so far everybody.
Here is my result with a 1/2" countersink and some sanding. This was using a 12v drill,
if done by hand with a bit more care it could have come out a lot better but I'm not too upset. The holes themselves are 11mm,
drilled with a millimeter-sized stepper bit that I got from Handheld Legend. 1/2" equals roughly 12mm so with the 1/2 countersink you're giving yourself about a 1mm bevel.
18073340_10104233365957865_1735843409_n.jpg
18073340_10104233365957865_1735843409_n.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 7124 times