Helder AIO Battery Monitor

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
GB3

Helder AIO Battery Monitor

Post by GB3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Hey guys!

I was just wondering if anyone has completed a battery monitor using the extra pins on Helder's AIO board. I did a search and I couldn't find anything, but I probably missed it. I'm probably going to be using the banggood power supply. I'd like to see what other people have completed :D

HoolyHoo

Re: Helder AIO Battery Monitor

Post by HoolyHoo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm

GB3 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 pm
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if anyone has completed a battery monitor using the extra pins on Helder's AIO board. I did a search and I couldn't find anything, but I probably missed it. I'm probably going to be using the banggood power supply. I'd like to see what other people have completed :D
Yes. I have with on screen display and low battery video and shutdown. :D write up coming soon hopefully.

onesojourner

Post by onesojourner » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:44 pm

I am definitely looking forward to that write up.

GB3

Post by GB3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Wow HoolyHoo, thanks! I'll be on the lookout for your writeup!

penguinsfan16

Post by penguinsfan16 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:14 am

Yes!!! Looking forward to that write up!

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm working on it. Tested it today with Helder's latest board and a Powerboost 1000C but should work just as well with the Banggood power supply. After playing and tweaking the code seems like it's working like a charm. Sorry for the crappy video but here is a sample with me connecting and disconnecting the battery.

onesojourner

Post by onesojourner » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 am

Very cool.

fernandinho1337

Post by fernandinho1337 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:39 am

i would really love to get that piece of script/ guidance to make htis
Who is "Jessie" and why does he like pi(e)?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:50 am

To properly use the new code you're going to need a USBasp so if you don't have one pick one up.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:09 am

fernandinho1337 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:39 am
i would really love to get that piece of script/ guidance to make htis
Yes, sorry, just been really busy lately but I will make the guide as soon as I get a chance. On the software side it will involve flashing Helder's AIO with a new hex file and installing my python script along with some modules. The easiest way to flash the board is with a USBasp programmer as Helder suggested. On the hardware side for the monitor all that is needed is one resistor and a DPDT switch which you may be using already on your build. The GB original switch will work also if using the Powerboost 1000C.

When finished, the script should display on screen battery monitoring with a low battery warning video and critical battery level video along with an automated shutdown that would cancel if you plugged in the zero to power. Also adding an option to install a extra button that will be monitored that when pressed and held, will initialize a graceful shutdown at any time so you don't have to go through emulation station menu to shutdown. A good placement is same place Kite placed his mode button. That button is optional however and not needed if you don't want it.

Once I do the write up, I welcome all testers for feedback as my testing is currently limited to an outside the case Helder board setup but the good news it works very well. :D