Bad contact on button

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Bad contact on button

Post by Helder » Mon May 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Worth a shot right?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Marty33

Post by Marty33 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:28 pm

You have a tutorial for this ?

And what can i buying for this (on amazon, i prefere)

Big thanks Helder

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue May 16, 2017 10:30 pm

You need to buy a USBasp programmer with a 10 pin to 6 pin adapter. I bought one on ebay. You can likely find them on amazon too. Here's the guide by helder.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1228

joeygbsn

Post by joeygbsn » Mon May 29, 2017 8:52 am

Hey guys i started to run in to this problem where my A button needed to be pushed harder to work. It seems like it got worse when the gbz was un used for a few days and then after playing for a little while it would improve. Anyway i just used my xacto knife and scored the little black silicone pad a few times to hopefully increase the surface area in contact when pushed and this seems to have fixed the problem for me. Not sure if this will help others or if my problem will return but it is an easy fix to test.

cobramike

Post by cobramike » Mon May 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Marty33 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 3:50 pm
No. I receive your PCB, i don't touch anything...

You think probably is coming from the program of your creation ?

A program can do that ?
I'll say yes m8. The new hex files are much better on response. And also check your gba case. Some after markets one are bad quality. Just saying.
Whooo Stop befor ask in a post. First use the search or the wiki befor you make a topic.. Just saying.........

docholiday11x

Post by docholiday11x » Tue May 30, 2017 12:33 pm

mine had the problem where the buttons would activate 2-5 times when i pressed them, but after a week the problem just went away, no idea why

marketus

Post by marketus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:42 pm

I have an issue with the buttons suddenly, before they worked good. When I press the A for example, it gives me an A but sometimes give me another like X or that, and the left direction pad doesn't work ( the A letter would be, left move). Why happend this? I try with other rubber pads and plastic pads even but the problem remains. Should I re-program or resolder the buttons to teensy?

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Looking at the buttons from the inside, are they hollow? If so, try filling them with hot glue so the membrane has less travel. It's possible that the button membrane is resting inside the button and making limited to no contact on the contacts of the PCB.

7dave7

Post by 7dave7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:04 am

A big thnx for this thread and all the guys that contributed because I have been fighting for DAYS with GPIOs, multi-meters, resistors etc to find out why a single button (B) didn't work. I should mention I use a generic button pcb.

I've changed between buttons, wires, actual GPIOs to make this button work and it didn't, while all components worked with any other button and other configurations. I have redone all solder joints in the button pcb and installed a header on raspberry pi in order to be able to interchange dupont jumpers to other GPIOs easily. It never occurred to me that the pad was the issue.

I probably should have though when I realized that when measuring the resistance with a multi-meter, the other buttons where giving readings in the 2kΩ range and some in the 200Ω range, the B button was in the 200KΩ range and some times in the 2MΩ range.
I read the entire thread and at first I didn't believe the pads were the issue but I thought to give it a try because I was at a loss anyway. I rotated the A-B pad base, so that the former A pad was at the B button and vice versa. And then I saw that the B button is working great now and the A button does not register.
One of the greatest moments in my life.
I haven't fixed it yet because I jumped to write this post but now I know I can fix it.

Thnx guys.

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:37 pm

I clean my pads with rubbing alcohol before installing and that helps... every once in a while I will have a D-pad direction hard to press and I just swap it out for a different membrane or try cleaning it again