Best SAIO battery solutions so far..

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Muon

Best SAIO battery solutions so far..

Post by Muon » Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 am

Hi folks! I've been out of the scene for a little while so I haven't been able to pay attention to developments in the battery department for Kite's Gameboy Zero SAIO board. I have a decent quality 18650 (3500mAh) with a protection circuit built in ready to go. But I'm wondering if there's been any further developments, custom batteries, good finds etc that I may have missed. I've had a bit of a search around already, but haven't found much so far. So what's currently considered the best solution(s) to use?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or links offered! :)

oliddell

Re: Best SAIO battery solutions so far..

Post by oliddell » Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am

Currently building mine with a Galaxy S2 batteries connecting to pogo pins using helders AIO-banggood psu and cambles safe shutdown....thats the plan anyways :)

Muon

Post by Muon » Thu May 25, 2017 3:38 pm

oliddell wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am
Currently building mine with a Galaxy S2 batteries connecting to pogo pins using helders AIO-banggood psu and cambles safe shutdown....thats the plan anyways :)
Thanks for the reply. :) Hmm, would that work with Kite's board? Anyone know?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu May 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Should work fine on any build.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Muon

Post by Muon » Sat May 27, 2017 1:58 am

Helder wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 3:45 pm
Should work fine on any build.
Thanks Helder, I haven't used pogo pins before so I don't have much experience with how to use them. I finished my build apart from the battery. It runs ok off the mains alright but when I tried to use the battery I have, I got nothing.

So I tried connecting the power when the battery was also attached (to try to charge it) and I got a burning smell! :shock: I quickly disconnected it! After calming down, I tried just the power. It seems fine but it's scared me a bit as far as connecting batteries, charging etc is concerned now!

So I'm playing it mega safe as to what to do next batterywise now. All help, guidance and advice in this area is really gratefully appreciated!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat May 27, 2017 5:43 am

Like all help we need to see pictures of your wiring setup.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Muon

Post by Muon » Sat May 27, 2017 11:52 am

Here's the battery I used.
It was sitting in a drawer for months before I got around to using it...

Here's a quick pic of my build...

I'll have to disassemble to get some wiring pics, it's kite's board tho, so the wiring is to a minimum.

Muon

Post by Muon » Mon May 29, 2017 5:46 am

Ok, here's a pic of the wiring setup inside. Like I said, as it's the SAIO board the wiring is very minimal, the battery was just plugged in at the top of the board there above the pi zero. On the battery I only switched the connector to a JST so that it'd fit, nothing else. I can't figure out what the prob is, but it's kinda scared me about fitting another battery. I should be able to have it plugged in and powered by the mains and have a battery attached to have it charge the battery right?

Muon

Post by Muon » Mon May 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Solved! In the SAIO support thread. Battery polarity makes a big difference! ;)