Help Removing Solder

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Jmk125

Help Removing Solder

Post by Jmk125 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi,

So I was finally to the point where I was just finishing my first game boy zero build. I had acquired the last few components and had done the vast majority of the work. All I needed to to was solder in my new volume wheel and replace my worn button pads.

As soon as I went to tin my wires, I hadn't been paying close attention and solder dripped off the iron and straight onto my screen controller board.. Now all I get is a white screen and my solder sucker cant get enough of it off to stop what I assume is the board shorting. I am somewhat new to soldering (soldering things this small anyway) and I do not know of a way to get this solder off. Did I..for the lack of a better phrase..screw myself here with my carelessness? Or does someone know of a way that I could get this solder off?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I would rather not have to buy another screen.

dryja123

Re: Help Removing Solder

Post by dryja123 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Here's a good video from Collin's Lab on removing solder: https://youtu.be/N_dvf45hN6Y

You should buy some prototyping board and practice removing solder with soldering wick and a solder sucker. You can also put a drop of flux on the errant solder and use your iron to roll the solder away until you can suck / wick it up. Just make sure you don't apply heat for too long in one spot or you could cause some damage to the board.

I ran into an issue with my AIO where it was detecting erratic button presses. I didn't realize that I dropped a dab of solder on the USB controller on the board. I had to use the flux, roll, and suck technique until I got the solder into a good position to pick it up. Like I said, practice a bit until you feel comfortable.

Jmk125

Re: Help Removing Solder

Post by Jmk125 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks for the response. I ended up getting some desoldering wick and basically made the problem worse. I ended up just buying a new screen hah. Hopefully I'm smart enough to not have this problem again. Almost doneee