gameboy zero by the noobest guy

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
VeteranGamer

Re: gameboy zero by the noobest guy

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 am

Unicornflakes wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:01 am
I tried to link the video wire correctly (appart from my poor soldering) this time, unfortunetly the result is still the same. Here is the soldering and a gif from the screen behavior.

Thanks
youve soldered the outer core to the other video (white wire), it should go onto the ground (black wire) on the screen board

the pi zero seems wired up properly, but i'd try to make solder connections a little neater

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Remove your 5v mod and test with a 12v power supply. Ive had issues before with a duff (but not visible) solder Joint. If the screen looks good on 12v then you know its not your other wiring....then resolder your 5v bridge :)

PolletjeNL

Post by PolletjeNL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:41 pm

I think your 5v mod is soldered on to the wrong leg. It appears you have a Variant 9 board. I Always remove the component an then solder directly on the pad, but it is not necessary.
Directly from the Wiki: http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... t-9_5V.jpg.

Unicornflakes

Post by Unicornflakes » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 am

Unfortunately as I said before I'm not really qualified in all the electronic stuff, so I don't have gears to use a 12v power supply.

Regarding the screen board modification, I've read in several topics on this forum that there is no need to remove the chip. On one of this topic I read something about changing the retropie conf (regarding composite an PAL), I did that in the past. I rolled this back and this improved things a bit (the bottom flickering is now less visible) but it still not crips at all, mainly the screen is unreadable when in console mode.

My lastest soldering just in case (tried to clean it a bit):

Boydee

Post by Boydee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 am

As poll said it looks like your jumper wire is in the incorrect spot. This is taken directly from the wiki.

I'd try soldering to that point first and if the results aren't great remove the chip as mentioned.

Also read through the whole thread veteran mentioned it shows you how to change the resolution and other stuff to try, which will help too.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2850
Boydees First GBZ : Here

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:17 am

Unicornflakes wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 am
Unfortunately as I said before I'm not really qualified in all the electronic stuff, so I don't have gears to use a 12v power supply.

Regarding the screen board modification, I've read in several topics on this forum that there is no need to remove the chip. On one of this topic I read something about changing the retropie conf (regarding composite an PAL), I did that in the past. I rolled this back and this improved things a bit (the bottom flickering is now less visible) but it still not crips at all, mainly the screen is unreadable when in console mode.

My lastest soldering just in case (tried to clean it a bit):

DONT REMOVE THE CHIP

i've had this screen and had the same issues.....

this is my screen in my build, with the jumper in the same spot as you

your wiring looks fine now

get a decent 5v charger something that puts out about 2a-2.5a, i suspect that the screen is not getting the right amount of power

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 am

Boydee wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 am
As poll said it looks like your jumper wire is in the incorrect spot. This is taken directly from the wiki.

I'd try soldering to that point first and if the results aren't great remove the chip as mentioned.

Also read through the whole thread veteran mentioned it shows you how to change the resolution and other stuff to try, which will help too.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2850
Dont take the wiki as gospel....

nearly everone thats remove the chip on this screen board, has been left crying......

always follow what people that have had experience wth something and posted on this forum (tried and tested)

Unicornflakes

Post by Unicornflakes » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:50 am

I've tried with a 2A power bank without success, I'll if I can find something more powerfull.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have a hard time learning all this but this community is great :)

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:20 am

Recommend you re solder your 5v mod as per above first and test then :) Keep us posted

Boydee

Post by Boydee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:15 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 am
Boydee wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2850
Dont take the wiki as gospel....

nearly everone thats remove the chip on this screen board, has been left crying......

always follow what people that have had experience wth something and posted on this forum (tried and tested)
Yeah all good just trying to help that's all. I had a v7 and followed the wiki and removed the chip and it was perfect, so I just assumed. All good tho.
Boydees First GBZ : Here