What do I need if I can't get an aio pcb?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
spofy

What do I need if I can't get an aio pcb?

Post by spofy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:50 am

Long story short I have literally no idea where to start and I don't really understand many things that I've read but from what I can gather, I won't be able to get my hands on any of the fancy boards any time soon or cheaply, so I was wondering what exactly I need as an alternative? I want to make a very simple/cheap build since I'm completely new to everything and I was wondering if there are any in depth instructions anywhere for such a build?
Thank you :)

rodocop

Re: What do I need if I can't get an aio pcb?

Post by rodocop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:29 am

Buy one of these button pcb' s. It's your best bet if you want something cheap. There are lots on eBay, find the cheapest one:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112343742350

Also, you can pre order one of kites super aio boards now. It may be expensive. But if you look at buying all the parts individually it will probably cost the same as a 'cheaply made build.

As for guide. I'd start with all of wermys guides. Watch them all and read the write ups. The forums will have all the other info you need.

http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

spofy

Post by spofy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 am

rodocop wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:29 am
Buy one of these button pcb' s. It's your best bet if you want something cheap. There are lots on eBay, find the cheapest one:

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112343742350

Also, you can pre order one of kites super aio boards now. It may be expensive. But if you look at buying all the parts individually it will probably cost the same as a 'cheaply made build.

As for guide. I'd start with all of wermys guides. Watch them all and read the write ups. The forums will have all the other info you need.

http://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
thanks for replying :) i think i saw the preorder page for the aio but if i remember right, it would take quite a while for it to arrive (september?) and unfortunately i'll be back in school then and will be really busy :(

http://www.sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-cu ... de-part-1/

so if i got all the parts on the list apart from the aio I could just use one of those button pcb's instead? or are there more parts i would need that i'm unaware of?

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:20 pm

spofy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 am
so if i got all the parts on the list apart from the aio I could just use one of those button pcb's instead
No. That build uses Helder's AIO, so you would need additional components (Teensy, USB hub, audio amp/circuit).

Rodocop's suggestion would be more in line with following Wermy's first guide: http://www.sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-1/ Except that, by using a custom PCB (like his eBay link), you wouldn't have to modify an actual Gameboy PCB, which lets you skip most of step 2: http://www.sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-2/

If you're looking for a relatively simple build with minimal extra parts needed, it might be worth looking into a Minty Pi instead. There are two separate pre-order threads - Helder is selling the custom PCB and screen; Wermy is selling buttons and printed parts to actually assemble it. If you buy their parts, you would only need a Pi0W, USB sound card, speaker, charger, battery, tact switches and power switch.

snoek09

Post by snoek09 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:07 pm

I feel your pain. I started a project using the 10$ button PCB. This kind of build is definitely not as easy as compared to the AIO or helder PCB. And you will have to make several choices:

- Connect to GPIO pins on pi zero or not. If not, you'll need a Teensy LC or comparable microcontroller.
- Do you want both speaker and headphone sound? Do you want to use USB audio or PWM audio?
- How many USB devices do you need to connect? Depends on using a Teensy LC, USB audio, etc.
- Do you want to use a cartridge reader to read you micro SD card?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
I have a parts list which is almost complete for a build using a Teensy LC, USB audio and cartridge reader.

spofy

Post by spofy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:16 pm

ICMF wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:20 pm
spofy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 am
so if i got all the parts on the list apart from the aio I could just use one of those button pcb's instead
No. That build uses Helder's AIO, so you would need additional components (Teensy, USB hub, audio amp/circuit).

Rodocop's suggestion would be more in line with following Wermy's first guide: http://www.sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-1/ Except that, by using a custom PCB (like his eBay link), you wouldn't have to modify an actual Gameboy PCB, which lets you skip most of step 2: http://www.sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-2/

If you're looking for a relatively simple build with minimal extra parts needed, it might be worth looking into a Minty Pi instead. There are two separate pre-order threads - Helder is selling the custom PCB and screen; Wermy is selling buttons and printed parts to actually assemble it. If you buy their parts, you would only need a Pi0W, USB sound card, speaker, charger, battery, tact switches and power switch.
The Minty Pi seems promising, I'm looking into it right now :) thank you!

spofy

Post by spofy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:27 pm

snoek09 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:07 pm
I feel your pain. I started a project using the 10$ button PCB. This kind of build is definitely not as easy as compared to the AIO or helder PCB. And you will have to make several choices:

- Connect to GPIO pins on pi zero or not. If not, you'll need a Teensy LC or comparable microcontroller.
- Do you want both speaker and headphone sound? Do you want to use USB audio or PWM audio?
- How many USB devices do you need to connect? Depends on using a Teensy LC, USB audio, etc.
- Do you want to use a cartridge reader to read you micro SD card?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
I have a parts list which is almost complete for a build using a Teensy LC, USB audio and cartridge reader.
I'd quite like to see your parts list :) responding to your points in order:
- Not entirely sure about this point; I have no idea of the pros/cons of those options (I don't actually know what any of those things do/are :oops: :oops: )
- I'd probably just settle for speaker sound tbh haha
- ummm.... i'm not sure, i don't really need to be able to do any fancy extra stuff so.. none? (yeah im pretty conscious about keeping it simple/ as low cost as i can so my parents don't get mad at me for spending too much hahahah)
- I don't mind; whatever's cheapest as long as it works then I'm happy :)

I realise I seem really indecisive/lack a lot of knowledge about this stuff and I apologise for that; I do need to do more reading up on stuff but i'm trying to figure out what parts i want/need asap because i see it could take quite a while for all the stuff to arrive haha :) thanks for your help <3

snoek09

Post by snoek09 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Looking at costs I would say to leave these out:
- Teensy LC
- Cartridge reader
- USB Hub

There's no need to apologise. A lot of this stuff I didn't know a few weeks ago. And there's even more that I still don't know :)
I'll post my parts list later here.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Okay first, taking a step back: computers. (since you asked elsewhere)

There are a bunch of option with pluses and minuses to each, but I'll make it simple: use a Pi0W. It has the smaller form factor of the Pi0 (which makes it easier to fit inside a gameboy shell... and *possible* to fit in an altoids tin), but it also has WiFi and Bluetooth, which makes a USB hub less critical. That saves some money, and some space in your build.
spofy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:27 pm
- Not entirely sure about this point; I have no idea of the pros/cons of those options (I don't actually know what any of those things do/are :oops: :oops: )
- ummm.... i'm not sure, i don't really need to be able to do any fancy extra stuff so.. none? (yeah im pretty conscious about keeping it simple/ as low cost as i can so my parents don't get mad at me for spending too much hahahah)
again, in order...

GPIO vs Teensy
- GPIO means you solder directly to the Raspberry Pi. The board has two rows of holes on the side - those are the General Purpose Input/Output connections. The benefit is, fewer components (you don't need a microcontroller) = lower cost and less stuff to cram in the case, plus you leave the USB empty, to use with something else. The downside is, you need to program your Pi so it understands what those inputs mean which can be tricky and make troubleshooting more difficult, and you're kind of locked in to that method.
- Teensy (or Pro Micro, or microcontrollers) means you use essentially another small computer, which you program to act like a keyboard. The benefit is, because it's a separate device, it's a little easier to program and troubleshoot, and you don't have to worry about compatibility issues with the Pi - especially if you update the software later. The down side is that it adds cost ($3 - 15, depending on the device), takes up some space, and uses up the USB port.

USB vs. PWM audio. The Pi0 doesn't really have an audio output, so you need a device to pull out the audio signal.
- USB means using a USB sound card, which decodes audio from Retropie (the emulator software). It's a small USB dongle. The benefit is ease and supposedly a cleaner signal (cleaner sound); downside is, it uses up the USB port. Also, it only works once the emulation software has loaded, so if you want a fancy startup screen, you won't hear it.
-PWM is Pulse Wave Modulation. Basically, it's pulling the limited signal directly off the Pi. You'll need an amp, and possibly a filter circuit, so it's a little more 'hands-on' to build, but it works from startup. So pro: no USB, always on; con: more complicated, may be inferior sound.

USB connections.
-The Pi0 and Pi0W only have one USB connection. Several of your build choices amount to "connect X via USB, or use a different method". If you're just using the Pi, you can only pick one thing to connect via USB; if you add a USB hub, you can use all of the USB options. A hub adds some cost and takes up space, but may make it easier to connect some components.

Cartridge reader.
-When completed, the Pi itself will be buried inside the shell. You can do a lot via WiFi, but in order to physically access the MicroSD card (and you will), you'll have to open up the device. Or, you can - in effect - relocate the MicroSD card into the cartridge, so you just remove the cartridge, then pull out the MicroSD. So in practical terms, it can save you from re-opening the device (which is a hassle, and risks stripping the screws). The real reason most people want to do it, though, is that it's cool. It's reading the games off a cartridge, just like a real game boy! The down sides are, it takes up a bunch of space and you may not physically have enough room (this is where the AIO boards come in handy - more stuff in less space); also, it's tricky to pull off - it seems prone to interference, and a lot of people have reported difficulties. It's certainly not impossible, but it can take some trial and error.

Lastly, feel free to ask questions. There's a lot of info scattered around the forum and it can be overwhelming, and tough to get up to speed. As long as you're not demanding ridiculous additions to the Minty Pi (can you fit a GTX 1070 inside so I can play Vive games?!?). :lol:

spofy

Post by spofy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:30 pm

ICMF wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm
Okay first, taking a step back: computers. (since you asked elsewhere)

There are a bunch of option with pluses and minuses to each, but I'll make it simple: use a Pi0W. It has the smaller form factor of the Pi0 (which makes it easier to fit inside a gameboy shell... and *possible* to fit in an altoids tin), but it also has WiFi and Bluetooth, which makes a USB hub less critical. That saves some money, and some space in your build.
spofy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:27 pm
again, in order...

GPIO vs Teensy
- GPIO means you solder directly to the Raspberry Pi. The board has two rows of holes on the side - those are the General Purpose Input/Output connections. The benefit is, fewer components (you don't need a microcontroller) = lower cost and less stuff to cram in the case, plus you leave the USB empty, to use with something else. The downside is, you need to program your Pi so it understands what those inputs mean which can be tricky and make troubleshooting more difficult, and you're kind of locked in to that method.
- Teensy (or Pro Micro, or microcontrollers) means you use essentially another small computer, which you program to act like a keyboard. The benefit is, because it's a separate device, it's a little easier to program and troubleshoot, and you don't have to worry about compatibility issues with the Pi - especially if you update the software later. The down side is that it adds cost ($3 - 15, depending on the device), takes up some space, and uses up the USB port.

USB vs. PWM audio. The Pi0 doesn't really have an audio output, so you need a device to pull out the audio signal.
- USB means using a USB sound card, which decodes audio from Retropie (the emulator software). It's a small USB dongle. The benefit is ease and supposedly a cleaner signal (cleaner sound); downside is, it uses up the USB port. Also, it only works once the emulation software has loaded, so if you want a fancy startup screen, you won't hear it.
-PWM is Pulse Wave Modulation. Basically, it's pulling the limited signal directly off the Pi. You'll need an amp, and possibly a filter circuit, so it's a little more 'hands-on' to build, but it works from startup. So pro: no USB, always on; con: more complicated, may be inferior sound.

USB connections.
-The Pi0 and Pi0W only have one USB connection. Several of your build choices amount to "connect X via USB, or use a different method". If you're just using the Pi, you can only pick one thing to connect via USB; if you add a USB hub, you can use all of the USB options. A hub adds some cost and takes up space, but may make it easier to connect some components.

Cartridge reader.
-When completed, the Pi itself will be buried inside the shell. You can do a lot via WiFi, but in order to physically access the MicroSD card (and you will), you'll have to open up the device. Or, you can - in effect - relocate the MicroSD card into the cartridge, so you just remove the cartridge, then pull out the MicroSD. So in practical terms, it can save you from re-opening the device (which is a hassle, and risks stripping the screws). The real reason most people want to do it, though, is that it's cool. It's reading the games off a cartridge, just like a real game boy! The down sides are, it takes up a bunch of space and you may not physically have enough room (this is where the AIO boards come in handy - more stuff in less space); also, it's tricky to pull off - it seems prone to interference, and a lot of people have reported difficulties. It's certainly not impossible, but it can take some trial and error.

Lastly, feel free to ask questions. There's a lot of info scattered around the forum and it can be overwhelming, and tough to get up to speed. As long as you're not demanding ridiculous additions to the Minty Pi (can you fit a GTX 1070 inside so I can play Vive games?!?). :lol:
You are a lifesaver :D Thank you so much! I need to get back to sleep lol I have school in a few hours haha but thanks for explaining all that :) I really appreciate it