Okay so either the screen is a dud or I broke it. Help/recommendations?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
livinin82

Okay so either the screen is a dud or I broke it. Help/recommendations?

Post by livinin82 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:25 pm

I can't get my screen to display anything at all other than blank white. Currently testing off of the pi and I'm getting nothing.

It's the gearbest screen that rodocop had in his build.

I have tried reseating ribbon cable...it looks to be intact as well.

I have tried the white cable and the yellow cable.
The pi works through HDMI.

Tried editing config.txt to no avail.

Tried the suggested 5v mod...my soldering job may not have been the best. Also my solder is thicker than the legs so I'm not sure how accurate I was.
It may just be a dud. Absentmindedly I forgot to test it before cutting the cable.

If it doesn't work what kind should I get?

Here's a few photos of my sloppy soldering and multiple attempts:
http://imgur.com/a/jQwqG

If anyone has any advice please let me know. If I need a new one so be it but what should I order? Should I order another gearbest? Is there another that's easier or people have more success with?

I'm in Florida is there a place locally that has screens?

tyler335

Re: Okay so either the screen is a dud or I broke it. Help/recommendations?

Post by tyler335 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Whoa... redo your you 5V mod. The wire that you added is all frayed out on one side by the connector. No telling what contacts that is sending 5V to.

Also, looks like some solder has fallen on the connector pins that the screen's ribbon cable connects to. Some pins now look bridged together.
Check out my latest GBZ build: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 779#p35779

Image.......Image.......Image

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Yeah, defiantly clean up the wires and solder (get a solder sucker and some solder wick if you don't have any). Make sure when you solder you try to leave as little possible bare wire. I usually strip it, add some solder to the wire, and then trim it down quite short Have a look at this guide by abrugsch for some helpful info.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1984

Also, if your solder is too thick, I would go buy some thinner stuff...It'll make your life easier for sure! And like tyler335 mentioned, have a look at the legs on the ribbon connector, it does seem like in a few photos there may be some bridged pins...Hard to tell for sure.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm afraid you've blown the step up converter chip , i hope it's not done! and you can cleanup everything and redo it, perhaps you can ask someone in your environment who has experience with soldering. Good luck.

P.s you can desolder the complete chip, and re solder the wire @ the diode above it, it's also easyer to solder it there, i see many solder to the chip leg, while you don't have too.
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

livinin82

Post by livinin82 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:42 pm

It's definitely not done. So can anyone recommend a new one? And by blown chip do you mean on the pi or on the video board?

livinin82

Post by livinin82 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:12 pm

For what it's worth it was white screen without the mod before all the crazy soldering

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:03 am

livinin82 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:42 pm
It's definitely not done. So can anyone recommend a new one? And by blown chip do you mean on the pi or on the video board?
He means the small black chip with 8 legs that you soldered to on the screen board. It can be removed and the diode can be soldered too, like this I think? I've never done it this way before, correct me if I am wrong 144TECH.
screen boardShow