Retro pie aspect ratio or custom display size

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Woodr009

Retro pie aspect ratio or custom display size

Post by Woodr009 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi guys, I'm basically trying to get my display to fit into the original gameboy screen cut out. I have a 2.8 inch pitft screen running pigrrl zero image on my pi zero. I was wondering if anybody on here knew how to do this. I've seen some vids on how to change aspect ratio for emulators or specific games but I'm looking to change the interface as well. My end goal is to get my gameboy to look as stock as possible. Thanks everyone!

Elmafioso90

Re: Retro pie aspect ratio or custom display size

Post by Elmafioso90 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 am

I'm not the one to mess with settings that I don't actually know too much, but I guess that what you are looking for is the overscan setting.

VeteranGamer did something like this to be able to get a bigger screen to display inside the bezels of the GBZ and not lose any pixels so probably you can play with that parameter until you find one that pleases you.

Woodr009

Post by Woodr009 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I messed with the overscan a little and it works but only in the boot interface and not when emulation station boots up. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I'm making some progress although slow cause there doesn't seem to be too many people trying to achieve the same goals so it's a lot of digging.

Elmafioso90

Post by Elmafioso90 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 am

No prob, dude, it's a pleasure to be of help here :)

Maybe you can try contacting VeteranGamer. He is doing the same with a HDMI screen which is a little bigger than the size of a regular GBZ, but should be something you can also apply to your project since we are all using Retropie no matter what screen we use.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 am

Woodr009 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I messed with the overscan a little and it works but only in the boot interface and not when emulation station boots up. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I'm making some progress although slow cause there doesn't seem to be too many people trying to achieve the same goals so it's a lot of digging.
I ran into the same issue you are encountering.

In /boot/config.txt try adding the line overscan_scale=1 That should cause the overscan settings to also be applied in emulation station.

That fixed it for me.

Woodr009

Post by Woodr009 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 pm

I ended up figuring it out late last night. It was the overscan_scale=1. I just uncommented the line and the scaling worked for emulation station. I was ecstatic! Lol. It was kind of a shot in the dark cause I was reading something about it on another forum but it wasn't too clear, so I just tried it out. I ended up posting a small tutorial on a new post. Thank you so much you guys for your responses, they helped keep me in the right direction. Everything on this project is brand new to me so I'm sure theres more speed bumps along the way. I'm gonna try and post more info and pics on the other thread as I progress.