Alternative store for the 3.5 TFT

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Fox

Re: Alternative store for the 3.5 TFT

Post by Fox » Wed May 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Mad_Duke wrote:Thanks for the heads up!

So it's not using the left part at all, even during boot? Anyway. Will try as soon as I get it!

Other than that, how is the performance? Brightness, ghosting?...
I haven't tried booting the Pi with it. I had the screen connected straight up to my SNES :D . Other than the cut off part, I thought the screen looked pretty good, but I thought it could have been better. It would help if I had another screen to compare it to because I may not be able to expect greater quality from these little guys. The brightness was great, although there are no buttons to adjust it. I don't recall any ghosting, but I didn't look too closely because I was distracted by that darn cut-off.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 11, 2016 8:04 pm

That fuzziness looks really peculiar, have you tried input sources other than the SNES? :D

Fox

Post by Fox » Thu May 12, 2016 6:24 am

crispy_tofu wrote:That fuzziness looks really peculiar, have you tried input sources other than the SNES? :D
The only other source I've tried is a Wii and I had the same problem. My Pi setup isn't ready to display yet. After work today I will take a good photo of it rather than using my crappy phone camera. I think it just looks fuzzy because of the photo quality.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu May 12, 2016 6:57 am

Fox wrote:I bought that same screen from Ebay from BuyDisplay. I tried it out but part of the screen gets cut off :( . I attached a photo. I just requested a return today. Beware! Check your screen out before the 14 day warranty.
That looks more like not properly adjusted overscan. Or maybe wrong resolution of the SNES Emulator.
If you start a rom in Retropie SNES, there is a second long screen telling you to hit a button if you want to change settings.
Do this and play around with the settings. If this does not help, change overscan in the /boot/config.txt file.

Fox

Post by Fox » Thu May 12, 2016 7:07 am

Fleder wrote:
Fox wrote:I bought that same screen from Ebay from BuyDisplay. I tried it out but part of the screen gets cut off :( . I attached a photo. I just requested a return today. Beware! Check your screen out before the 14 day warranty.
That looks more like not properly adjusted overscan. Or maybe wrong resolution of the SNES Emulator.
If you start a rom in Retropie SNES, there is a second long screen telling you to hit a button if you want to change settings.
Do this and play around with the settings. If this does not help, change overscan in the /boot/config.txt file.
I had this hooked up directly to my SNES, no project board or emulation involved.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu May 12, 2016 7:17 am

Fox wrote:I had this hooked up directly to my SNES, no project board or emulation involved.
Oh, then i really have no idea. You could try a different cable or source and if this does not help, look for damages at the flex cable of the display. But yeah, they should replace it.

Jaysin

Post by Jaysin » Fri May 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Deadtime wrote:No worries, you did nothing bad. I also didn't get anything for over a week now, the order was stuck in processing so I decided to screw it and ask for a refund. I went ahead and started searching for one on Amazon. It's quicker shipping and easier returns.
Just got mine in today. Don't have much time to play around with it, but I was able to get it powered up on a 12V adapter from my broken NAS and plugging my N64 into it. Image quality is nice and its centered on the screen. Here's 2 pictures of it, I'll get more detailed stuff once I have time (I used URLs as I don't have time resize the images, sorry):

http://i.imgur.com/pQE8NOr.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ep46VUh.png
Jay - The only 6"3', 280 LBS guy who's more afraid of others than they are of him

Deadtime

Post by Deadtime » Sat May 14, 2016 7:42 am

Jaysin wrote:
Deadtime wrote:No worries, you did nothing bad. I also didn't get anything for over a week now, the order was stuck in processing so I decided to screw it and ask for a refund. I went ahead and started searching for one on Amazon. It's quicker shipping and easier returns.
Just got mine in today. Don't have much time to play around with it, but I was able to get it powered up on a 12V adapter from my broken NAS and plugging my N64 into it. Image quality is nice and its centered on the screen. Here's 2 pictures of it, I'll get more detailed stuff once I have time (I used URLs as I don't have time resize the images, sorry):

http://i.imgur.com/pQE8NOr.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ep46VUh.png
Don't be sorry, these work as good as ever. :) It looks really good actually, even more when you play a classic game like Banjo Tooie. Good Game! Nice to see a working one.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Sat May 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Guys! @Fleder is correct. You don't need to buy a new screen. It just needs an adjustment to the overscan settings. You can fix/adjust this within the /boot/config.txt file to change this. You will need to hook up a USB keyboard to your PI or SSH in from another computer if you have Wifi setup.

If you are doing it from the GBZ, boot it up and then quit Emulation Station, and Really Quit and get to the Command Prompt.

Otherwise, from another computer, you can type this from a terminal (Use Putty if you are on PC)

Code: Select all

ssh pi@retropie.local
The default password is "raspberry".

Now type the following

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
There you will see a text editor. Scroll down about 10 lines and remove the "#" character in front of the line that says:

#overscan_right=16
Then press CTRL+X to exit, and "Y" to confirm your changes of the file.

Then reboot by typing:

sudo reboot now
If the screen still doesn't look right, just repeat this process, but adjust that number 16, until your screen looks right.