Purpose of usb hub

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
GrantVXR

Purpose of usb hub

Post by GrantVXR » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Might as well make my first question a real nooby one. I’ve watched Wermy’s videos multiple times and understand it all apart from the usb hub. Is it just there as a way to have the option of a wireless dongle or does it d something like regulate/distribute power/data from the other ports? I’m awaiting the last pars I need for my build so no doubt this won’t be my last question!! Thanks in advance.

rodocop

Re: Purpose of usb hub

Post by rodocop » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:57 pm

well, with wermy's first set of videos he was using a pi zero (no W), so there was no built in wifi. So using the hub allows you to connect a wifi dongle. He also used a teensy, which is a usb device that was connected. and he had one usb ran to the ext port for a spare. The pi zero w only has one usb port. so if you are using more than one usb device you would want a hub.

I generally do not use them. I skip the teensy and wire controls directly to the pi's GPIO pins, i use pwm audio instead of usb audio, so I only use the pi's usb to extend to the ext port to plug in a keyboard etc...

it all depends how you want to build, you don't need one, but it is necessary if you plan to use multiple usb devices.

GrantVXR

Post by GrantVXR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:26 am

Nice one thanks, I’ve followed wermys parts list fairly strictly. I have a teensy but I have the pi zero w. So will still need the hub. Thanks for your help.

Thesonofromeo

Post by Thesonofromeo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:43 am

GrantVXR wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:26 am
Nice one thanks, I’ve followed wermys parts list fairly strictly. I have a teensy but I have the pi zero w. So will still need the hub. Thanks for your help.
yes and no, yes you will need a hub if you want to have and usb port and the controller. If not connecting you controller wires to your pi and skipping the hub eliminates space issues.

Maury

Post by Maury » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:21 am

So, if we wire the controller board to the pi GPIO is there any coding that needs to be done ?

Thanks

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Maury wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:21 am
So, if we wire the controller board to the pi GPIO is there any coding that needs to be done ?

Thanks
Just a little. Here are some instructions:

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57

Maury

Post by Maury » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 am

Perfect .

Thanks

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am

I did the same thing as @rodocop on both of my builds. The GPIO mapping is much easier than I thought it would be, and realistically you'd have to go through similar steps with a microcontroller.

It is very nice to have an external USB port if for nothing other than instant and automatic transfer of ROMs.

One note: PWM audio is pretty bad. Going for USB in my Orange Pi portable next to see if it's much better. To be fair though, when I'm playing on the bus, by mind is running crystal clear audio straight from nostalgia.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am

RetroRocket wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am
I did the same thing as @rodocop on both of my builds. The GPIO mapping is much easier than I thought it would be, and realistically you'd have to go through similar steps with a microcontroller.

It is very nice to have an external USB port if for nothing other than instant and automatic transfer of ROMs.

One note: PWM audio is pretty bad. Going for USB in my Orange Pi portable next to see if it's much better. To be fair though, when I'm playing on the bus, by mind is running crystal clear audio straight from nostalgia.
Yeah, PWM isn't great but I have seen on the Retropie Handhelds facebook page recently that a member there, Dan Henry (not sure if you are a member here), has used a DPDT switch to switch between USB audio and the extra usb port. Which is a great idea. That way you can still skip the hub and use USB audio and have a spare port when you need it.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 am

rodocop wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am
RetroRocket wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am

Yeah, PWM isn't great but I have seen on the Retropie Handhelds facebook page recently that a member there, Dan Henry (not sure if you are a member here), has used a DPDT switch to switch between USB audio and the extra usb port. Which is a great idea. That way you can still skip the hub and use USB audio and have a spare port when you need it.
This is so brilliaaaant ! Ohhhh this forum is astonishing me everyday :geek:
Follow me on instagram Image