Gameboy writing on case.

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Crainium17

Gameboy writing on case.

Post by Crainium17 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've ran a search and looked for a couple of days and didn't find anything so I thought I'd ask now to save some time. Can the writing on the Gameboy case off eBay dmg style be taken off without damaging the color or case itself? (I talking about the start, select, A, B, & Gameboy writing under the screen)

ZahcStarKiller

Re: Gameboy writing on case.

Post by ZahcStarKiller » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:07 am

From my experience, I would try Acetone. It can be found in the hardware store, and is also the main ingredient in nail polish remover. Wear gloves (as a paramedic I will tell you that Acetone is EXTREMELY toxic to your liver and soaks straight through your skin), put some on a paper towel or cotton swab, and give it a good rub. I would be shocked if that doesn't take the lettering straight off in seconds. It also won't hurt the plastic at all if you don't soak it heavily. Acetone will melt some plastics though so be careful (It will eat straight through a red solo cup in about 30 seconds). Just a little dab on a paper towel. Not dripping wet.

Honestly, I am sure that will work. The china made cases, or really any cases, use inks, likely screen printed on. I haven't found a single type of paint or printing that acetone won't eat straight through. It can smear the ink though, so if that happens, just hit it again and wipe it clean with another acetone soaked paper towel. Repeat until it's all pretty.
Last edited by ZahcStarKiller on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZahcStarKiller

Post by ZahcStarKiller » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 am

I will have a case coming from Kubino in a month or so, planning a custom hydro dip coating on it. I will try acetone and let you know if it works, if you don't get the chance to try it before me.

If you do, please update, that would be good info for the community.

jakejm79

Post by jakejm79 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:34 pm

IME acetone will remove some of the ink but not all of it perfectly, I've found the need for slight sanding to remove all remnants of it, but your mileage may vary. Also even a little acetone will quickly damage the surface of these cases. If you look closely the cases have a textured finish, the acetone will tend to smooth that out even if used in very small amounts.

Not saying it can't be done, but it will be hard to find the right balance to thoroughly remove all the ink but not leave any damage to the case.

Gauffre

Post by Gauffre » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:07 am

I was trying to clean my case with Acetone and it removed some of the ink, making it a bit blurry... It did not damage the color of the case though. but I agree, it will probably not be a very clean result.

kubino

Post by kubino » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am

ZahcStarKiller wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 am
I will have a case coming from Kubino in a month or so, planning a custom hydro dip coating on it. I will try acetone and let you know if it works, if you don't get the chance to try it before me.

Your case do not have nintendo logo hope it's no big issue :-)

ZahcStarKiller

Post by ZahcStarKiller » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:21 pm

kubino wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am
ZahcStarKiller wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 am

Your case do not have nintendo logo hope it's no big issue :-)
Definitely no issue! It’s going to be covered anyway!

Nicode70

Post by Nicode70 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 am

I'd like to see the result of your hydro dip!
https://instagram.com/nicoGBPi
Nintendo ID: 0954-8664-4922

bluishsquirrel

Post by bluishsquirrel » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 am

I have tried acetone, Methilated spirit, White Spirit, Solvent ink washing liquid, UV ink washing liquid, screen print washing liquid, a few more things and had no luck still..

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:47 am

bluishsquirrel wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 am
I have tried acetone, Methilated spirit, White Spirit, Solvent ink washing liquid, UV ink washing liquid, screen print washing liquid, a few more things and had no luck still..
have you tried printing designs on a DMG shell, and if so how have the results been....
(not sure if the texture of the shells are the same as others, like the GBA)

the GBA shells you do look really sweet....
https://www.bluishsquirrel.co.uk/produc ... ance-shell