RPi3 device tree hacking and power consumption

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
sgtgrumbles

RPi3 device tree hacking and power consumption

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 pm

I was thinking of using a Pi 3 in my next build but was concerned about power consumption. I know the CM3 uses the same SoC so that got me thinking if it'd be possible to lower the the power consumption on the Pi 3 by disabling unused hardware in the device tree. Does anyone have experience hacking the dt? Any idea if that'd be an effective way to conserve mAh?

sgtgrumbles

Re: RPi3 device tree hacking and power consumption

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:28 pm

Welp, this appears to be uncharted territory so I've settled on just using the dt overlay to disable onboard bluetooth/wifi, in addition to disabling all but 1 CPU core and underclocking the CPU. The Cortex A53 chip doesn't need to run at full tilt to play SNES/16-bit games.

If that's still not enough then I'll use a Pi 2 B v1.1 (not 1.2) which has a Cortex A7 chip. It uses less power than the Pi 3 but should still be OK. I would consider using another board but need RGB support for a DPI screen and compatible alternatives aren't well documented (e.g., NanoPi boards).
Attachments
Raspberry-Pi-Benchmarks-Power-Draw[1].jpg
Raspberry-Pi-Benchmarks-Power-Draw[1].jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 1549 times