Building a GBZ with hdmi output and controller input for a second player?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
nwycoff37

Building a GBZ with hdmi output and controller input for a second player?

Post by nwycoff37 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 am

So I want to build a gameboy zero with some extra modifications such as having an hdmi mini output, also an additional usb input so that I can have another player plug a controller into the unit like an 8 bit do controller, or snes buffalo controller or something.

Ive was told Kite's circuit sword would be good for this, but its gunna be months before the next pre order opens and even many months more before I receive it. So I'm probably gunna go with wermy's GBZ build using a raspberry pi zero.

Is this possible using the Pi Zero? any suggestions?

CrogDog

Re: Building a GBZ with hdmi output and controller input for a second player?

Post by CrogDog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:38 pm

You can orient the Pi so that the hdmi out is accessible through the contrast slot on the side of the case. That's what I did on my build, I also have a usb connection where the link port is. There's usually quite a bit of space along the bottom of the shell, could be a spot for a second usb connection. Or you might be able to have just one usb connection but use an external hub to have a second controller

Tony85_23061

Post by Tony85_23061 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 pm

An 8bitdo controller should be pairable with the pi without needing a usb port. I have two, snes30 and snes30 pro. Both work fine niether has never been plugged in. Ofcourse this is on a pi3....

nwycoff37

Post by nwycoff37 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Tony85_23061 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:01 pm
An 8bitdo controller should be pairable with the pi without needing a usb port. I have two, snes30 and snes30 pro. Both work fine niether has never been plugged in. Ofcourse this is on a pi3....
Good point. Im using a raspberry zero W so I should have no problems. Thanks!