New GBZ Build, New to Electronics

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Mayday10

Re: New GBZ Build, New to Electronics

Post by Mayday10 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:59 am

It looks like it was certainly a bridge between 2 contacts. I cleaned it up and removed the wires. I was able to hook up the keyboard and it worked! (it wasnt working before, even when I detached the wires as the bridge existed).

Mayday10

Post by Mayday10 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 am

I hit some speed bumps.

Trying to desolder some wires turned into a small disaster. I found that my skills for desoldering are poor. I needed a lot of heat and my solder became more and more resistant and as I attempted to use a braid it would stick to the solder/board.

Do I need to add flux for desoldering easier?

Also, is there a way to test component signal? I currently have it wired, but cant get anything on the screen. Power is 5v on the screen, but no picture.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 am

flux will help with desoldering for sure. Do you have a pic of the signal wire? on both the pi and the screen PCB? I'm not sure if you can test signal, but you can test continuity between the two points. Other than telling you that there is a connection that is all it will do.

Also confirm that the signal wire used it soldered to the proper spot on the pi, it will be the square bordered hold, in the box labelled TV.

Mayday10

Post by Mayday10 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am

Thank you.

Right now I have it desoldered.

In my fiasco, I ended up singing the thin wires that came with the gearbest screen. They come attached to a plastic connector, so I re-attached some of my own wires directly to the pins on the screen board. I hooked up the 5v and ground and they are good. I haven't yet hooked up my white and yellow as I was nervous about taking them off with difficulty if the screen is shot. If flux can make it easier, then I can proceed.

If I turn it on and touch the wires to the proper connections on the pi I get nothing though.

Ill snap some photos tonight.

I am getting better at soldering, believe it or not.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:22 am

also, FYI, on the gearbest screen you only need to use yellow or white. Both are not needed. I usually cut off the white wire and use yellow only (Yellow and white are AV1 and AV2). I always remove the plastic connector and solder my own wires on anyway.

Touching the wires is likely not good enough to get the signal through, you'll need to solder them on.