Total Noob

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Organic_Churros

Total Noob

Post by Organic_Churros » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:27 pm

Hey guys and gals, have totally found a passion over the last couple months hunting and modding classic Gameboys. Of course, am now looking into GBZ RP builds on YouTube while finding the sudomod community. That said, I've navigated the forums and blog a bit, but can't seem to find clipped threads for beginners. I'm looking to have a first build with an aio including screen, as little soldering as needed this first time and no major drilling of additional buttons in the shell. Thoughts on where to start? What vendors I need to be looking at for parts? PCB? etc.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

VeteranGamer

Re: Total Noob

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:48 am

Organic_Churros wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:27 pm
Hey guys and gals, have totally found a passion over the last couple months hunting and modding classic Gameboys. Of course, am now looking into GBZ RP builds on YouTube while finding the sudomod community. That said, I've navigated the forums and blog a bit, but can't seem to find clipped threads for beginners. I'm looking to have a first build with an aio including screen, as little soldering as needed this first time and no major drilling of additional buttons in the shell. Thoughts on where to start? What vendors I need to be looking at for parts? PCB? etc.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

one word....

KITE

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6884

(either the Circuit sword or Circuit Sword Lite)

you've missed the current pre-order....
but that not to say some wont appear in the For Sale section of this forum....

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38

another pre-order may also be coming up soon (next couple of month)

FlashyFrank

Re: Total Noob

Post by FlashyFrank » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:52 pm

From what you're describing VeteranGamer's suggestion of Kite is correct. Easiest and best project IMO, but it will cost a little more and preorders are closed.

Might be able to sweet talk someone on the forum into selling you their preorder, I ordered 2 but plan on using them both.

If you look really hard you might be able to find one of Helder's AIO boards but this will require a decent amount of soldering.

I would definitely recommend trying to build one from scratch as that was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. I didn't really have any soldering experience before this and my first build came out fine.