[WIP] Game Boy Color AIO Board

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
miguellahoz

[WIP] Game Boy Color AIO Board

Post by miguellahoz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:45 am

Hi all!

I'm new at the forums and this is going to be my first post, so first of all, hello everyone!

I have an old Game Boy Color lying arround, but sadly it doesn't work, so I want to make a Game Boy Color Zero with the raspberry that I have.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any AIO board for the Color version, so I have to do my own.
It's based in the post: https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6499

I ended up with something like this
PicsShow
So, the changes that I made was:
ChangesShow
  • Added L/R buttons
  • Added a programming and a bootloader connectors to burn the bootloader or programm the ATMEGA chip
And the changes that I want to add:
TODOShow
  • Change the battery protection circuit to allow for 2 1.5V batteries, so they can be put in the battery holder of the GBC
  • Change the audio amp board for an in-board design
  • Support for a screen
But I need a little bit of help. First of all, I'm not used to do PCBs, so I'm sure there are errors. Second, I don't know how to add a screen. I left space in the PCB for one, but I want to add the controll circuit for the screen, and I couldn't find anything about this.

So, thats all! I left my board and schematic (schematic is almost the same that the rlcmtzc12's post) so anyone can see/modify the design.
https://github.com/miguellahoz/Game-Boy-Color-AIO

Thank you all!

Edit 1:
So, I changed how I can do some things, so first of all I'm going to post here all the circuits that I have my board to have, what IC's I want to use and, when I have it designed, the schematics.
Also, I'm going to change the input system, so it uses the GPIO pins of the Raspberry instead of the USB port.
And I also added a folder in the github with the PCB design empty with the screws holes for the GBC.
Battery Protection CircuitShow
I'm planning to use a Li-Po battery, I was thinking about this one: http://www.crazell.com/product/703048/.
This batteries usually comes with their own protection circuit, so I don't need one in the board.
Boost circuit (Step up/down)Show
We have a battery that could give 4.2V to 3.7V, we need to boost this voltage to 5V.
The best IC that I could find is the TPS61240.
Data and datasheet: http://www.ti.com/product/tps61240
Charging circuitShow
Actually, I'm using a circuit based in the TC4056A, and it works fine, so I'm looking for another ICs, but this one seems fine.
WIP
ShutDown CircuitShow
A circuit that shuts down the Rapsberry when low battery is detected. It could be done with a detector IC, with the boost circuit (for some ICs), or with programming if it's a software battery level indicator
AudioShow
I need a circuit that can amplify audio, and turn off the speaker when a headphone is detected.
ScreenShow
I'm still looking for a screen that fits, the maximum size is arround 55.8 x 57 mm, maybe a little more if we don't keep the power indicator in the screen, it becomes 56 x 65.8 mm.
Last edited by miguellahoz on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

VeteranGamer

Re: [WIP] Game Boy Color AIO Board

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Nice work....
personally i think its a little over complicated (but that's just MHO)
as well as
some of the features aren't really needed (Atmega)
and others are lazily done (like the audio amp)

but id recommend having a look at this....

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6495

maybe contact this member for some assistance....
and also maybe working with them or sharing ideas....

Nice work so far
Good Luck....

miguellahoz

Post by miguellahoz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks for the response!
I'll send a MD to him as soon as possible.
For the complicated/lazy decissions, the ATMEGA's purpose is to have the input buttons as keyboard, so latter I can add USB ports to the PI if I want, for example, a bluetooth dongle, or have other systems like in-screen battery level indicator.
And yes, I need to get rid of the audio amp, but I just received a couple of them and need a little bit of time to put them in the design.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm

miguellahoz wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Thanks for the response!
For the complicated/lazy decissions, the ATMEGA's purpose is to have the input buttons as keyboard, so latter I can add USB ports to the PI if I want, for example, a bluetooth dongle, or have other systems like in-screen battery level indicator.
And yes, I need to get rid of the audio amp, but I just received a couple of them and need a little bit of time to put them in the design.
i'm not sure if your basing your design on the Pi Zero or the Pi Zero W

as the Pi Zero W already has built in WiFi and Bluetooth....

the Atmega will require the use of the USB port for connectivity to the Pi Zero....
which means you would also need to add a USB hub if you wanted to add any other USB device...
(like a Keyboard or ever want to add games/roms via a USB memory stick)....

controls (buttons) to the Pi Zero can easily be achieved via the GPIO, eliminating the need for a Atmega and freeing u the USB port
(info about this is already available on this forum as well as Adafruit)

also it would be a good idea to explore other audio options available to the Pi Zero

and then you have the challenge of finding a suitable size screen
one of the reasons this project (a GBC AIO) has never taken off....
but it is doable....

miguellahoz

Post by miguellahoz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm
miguellahoz wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 pm
Thanks for the response!
i'm not sure if your basing your design on the Pi Zero or the Pi Zero W

as the Pi Zero W already has built in WiFi and Bluetooth....

the Atmega will require the use of the USB port for connectivity to the Pi Zero....
which means you would also need to add a USB hub if you wanted to add any other USB device...
(like a Keyboard or ever want to add games/roms via a USB memory stick)....

controls (buttons) to the Pi Zero can easily be achieved via the GPIO, eliminating the need for a Atmega and freeing u the USB port

also it would be a good idea to explore other audio options available to the Pi Zero

and then you have the challenge of finding a suitable size screen
one of the reasons this project (a GBC AIO) has never taken off....
but it is doable....

Okey! I'll search for the other audio options when I have a little bit of time.
Isn't there any contradiction in using the GPIO pins instead the USB port?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 pm

miguellahoz wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 pm
Okey! I'll search for the other audio options when I have a little bit of time.
Isn't there any contradiction in using the GPIO pins instead the USB port?
i dont know what you mean by....
"Isn't there any contradiction in using the GPIO pins instead the USB port"

GPIO controls are alot more better for power consumption and in some case response time (from the button presses)
and if your not using any analog controls, maybe a bit over kill with the Atmega
(GPIO controls dont need the use of a USB input for them to work, unlike using a Atmega for the controls)...

also have a look at this...

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4585

it might be an easier on-screen battery option.....

but if you really want to use the Atmega....
this would also be another option for On-screen battery level....

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2970

when you get a bit more time....
id suggest to get that research in....
you'd be surprised whats out there....

Good luck

miguellahoz

Post by miguellahoz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:24 pm

I edited my original post, and now I'm struggling to find all the parts/ICs that I need