Gathering information before Gameboy build

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
andershp

Gathering information before Gameboy build

Post by andershp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 am

Hey all!

I'm revving up to my first-ever Gameboy build, after having completed my first arcade build last year (please feel free to check my signature). I'm definitely opting to get hold on a Kite Circuit Sword for the CM3. :)

I have a few questions though:

1. Having recently bought an original Gameboy, and seeing that many buy replacement casings to build from - is an original case not good for modding, or is it just because it's cheaper to buy a non-original case? Or is it necessary to do extra trimming down of the original casing, compared to an aftermarket casing?

2. I really want my build to look as original and clean as possible, just adding 2 more of the original "burgundy" buttons on the front and 2 on the back - which place is the best (preferably UK/EU) to get 2 or 4 of the original colored burgundy buttons? I'm looking to match the original buttons as much as possible, so the new ones don't stand out.

3. Any other pitfalls from rebuilding an original Gameboy? Do I need to replace some of the other buttons/switches to get Kite's board to fit/work?

... more questions to come, probably :lol:
My "Bubble Bobble" Themed Bartop Arcade: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/107 ... cade-build

infinitLoop

Re: Gathering information before Gameboy build

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:51 pm

for 1 and 3 - there is no difference in form-factor whatsoever in an after-market case and an original (except that some are more cheaply made, and some are even higher quality than the original). after-market gives a wider selection i think, and can be cheaper

very cool bartop unit, btw!
Last edited by infinitLoop on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:54 pm

stevieboy84 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:01 am
I'm planning a similar build using my original Gameboy, so I'd be interested in what people suggest here. I have been considering buying at least one spare case to practise making the relevant holes and mods to before risking butchering my original gameboy
i would highly recommend doing your first attempt on the cheapest case you can find :D
you will most certainly do some stuff you will end up regretting

Coyleybhoy

Post by Coyleybhoy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 am

i am in the same boat , just about to make my first ever gameboy zero build, after completing my bartop arcade last year , spooky

andershp

Post by andershp » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:26 am

Coyleybhoy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 am
my bartop arcade last year , spooky
Nice bartop, the spooky part is that the geometry of my bartop sides is something I designed myself (instructables standard layout, but then I rounded the corners and added a slope to the part under the controlpanel) but you seem to have gotten to the exact same result - that's really fun! :lol:

I find that an arcadebuild works neat for shmups and fighters but not just as much for console games, so I think that a Gameboy build will complement the arcade perfectly. Also, GB and GBC games is just not really that appealing on a big screen, IMO.

Thanks for the answers regarding cases - where's the best place to buy aftermarket cases that's both extremely cheap (for testing) and looks as close to the original as possible (for the final build)? Is it possible to get an aftermarket one with the Nintendo GAME BOY text printed on?

What about the burgundy buttons - best place to buy?
My "Bubble Bobble" Themed Bartop Arcade: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/107 ... cade-build

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:48 am

andershp wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:26 am
Thanks for the answers regarding cases - where's the best place to buy aftermarket cases that's both extremely cheap (for testing) and looks as close to the original as possible (for the final build)? Is it possible to get an aftermarket one with the Nintendo GAME BOY text printed on?

What about the burgundy buttons - best place to buy?
Nearly all of the cases you can find will have the gb text. They’re mostly from China, so you can look on aliexpress or eBay for a wide selection. The couple I got without text were actually high quality, and a bit pricier. The cheap ones can have a slightly different color, or not have quite the same texture, but you can barely tell.

For the buttons, I’m not sure for U.K./eu. If you want high-quality ones that are similar to snes, concave ones, I like www.retromodding.com. eBay usually has a lot too. Heck, I could even send you some I have if you wanted to cover the shipping.

andershp

Post by andershp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 am

Having discussed a few things with infinitLoop, I think I'm going to go for buttons from Retromodding.

I have another question though - I'm reading a lot of people recommending the 320x240 screen that comes with the build, but what about playing, say a few hours on a Gameboy build - is it not tiring for the eyes to use such a small screen?

Many retro console games were made for tv's around 20 inches in size I guess. Can you enjoy all the details and enjoy something like playing through a Zelda game on this thing, or do you generally see your Gameboys as gimmicks?

BenOfTheNorth

Post by BenOfTheNorth » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:47 am

If you’re talking about the 320 screen from Kites build then it’s definitely easy to look at - compared to my other VGA version it’s super clear and text is nice to read too.
Attachments
1227ED67-025A-41C6-A697-576BFDA2D413.jpeg
1227ED67-025A-41C6-A697-576BFDA2D413.jpeg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 5390 times

andershp

Post by andershp » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks for the photo - looks razor sharp!

Is it just me, or does the screen have a blueish tint to it? I've noticed it on other pictures here, but maybe it's more down to the cameras taking the photos than the screen, or what do you think?

BenOfTheNorth

Post by BenOfTheNorth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 pm

I’ve not noticed a tint myself - might well be down to cameras