Gameboy Zero injection moulded custom DMG cases

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
BitTen

Re: Gameboy Zero injection moulded custom DMG cases

Post by BitTen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Another option would be 3D Printed cases by a professional versus homelab 3D printers. Many professional services offer very smooth finishes similar to molded

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:06 pm

SudoNull wrote:Another option would be 3D Printed cases by a professional versus homelab 3D printers. Many professional services offer very smooth finishes similar to molded
The only problem with this is that they charge by the square centimeter which can add up to alot real fast, would you pay $120 for half a shell?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

aj_efff

Post by aj_efff » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm going to reach out to a few local places that do injection molding. Only thing is, don't have a dmg version up to spec. If anyone would like to send a modded dmg shell I would gladly pay for the shipping and report back with results and costs. Not sure what specs everyone would be looking to do, but I'd like to go for a 3.5 inch screen, and x, and y buttons. Also not sure how we'd get the Nintendo logo under the screen as well, but I'd want it as genuine looking as possible.

otaola.franc

Post by otaola.franc » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:19 am

aj_efff wrote:I'm going to reach out to a few local places that do injection molding. Only thing is, don't have a dmg version up to spec. If anyone would like to send a modded dmg shell I would gladly pay for the shipping and report back with results and costs. Not sure what specs everyone would be looking to do, but I'd like to go for a 3.5 inch screen, and x, and y buttons. Also not sure how we'd get the Nintendo logo under the screen as well, but I'd want it as genuine looking as possible.
any news about it?
i thought maybe changing the gameboy for a gameboy zero under the screen.... and for having the best possible genuine looking, the best would be that someone with a case go to a big fablab and some of them have 3d scanners, depending in the quality it could be the best option for the genuine looking.....

iSP

Post by iSP » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:29 am

otaola.franc wrote:
aj_efff wrote:I'm going to reach out to a few local places that do injection molding. Only thing is, don't have a dmg version up to spec. If anyone would like to send a modded dmg shell I would gladly pay for the shipping and report back with results and costs. Not sure what specs everyone would be looking to do, but I'd like to go for a 3.5 inch screen, and x, and y buttons. Also not sure how we'd get the Nintendo logo under the screen as well, but I'd want it as genuine looking as possible.
any news about it?
i thought maybe changing the gameboy for a gameboy zero under the screen.... and for having the best possible genuine looking, the best would be that someone with a case go to a big fablab and some of them have 3d scanners, depending in the quality it could be the best option for the genuine looking.....
I've been looking into this, I do have the skill to make a custom shell and I've figured out some problematic things.
The problem is the manufacturing... 3D printing doesn't give the quality I'm looking for and injection molding is really expensive.
Been looking into it and the best price for a full shell I can do here is 70 euro'ish.
According to the demand I might start a topic on it, or you could wait for the Kitsch Bent offering.

solder

Post by solder » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:05 pm

I've been looking around to find DMG1 stl files so i could modify em for our needs and print shells but there are none in the wild and i don't have the time atm drawing it from scratch. Only renders out there.

Having them 3D printed isn't that expensive anymore (unless you want metal or ceramic ones ;-P ) and desktop resin printers have a decent resolution.
3D printing leaves you with endless color & material options plus the possibility to adjust/customise each print to any users needs.

johnny-bert

Post by johnny-bert » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:05 am

Found an injection moulder in Germany which has an example offer on his homepage:
http://www.protomold.de/protoquote.aspx ... 1476085875

If you change prototype parts quantity (Musterteilezahl) to 100 in this example tools price goes up to £3,097.00 and parts price (100x) will be £180.00 (£1.80 each) so in sum it will be £3,277.00 for 100 prototypes aka buyers.

So every one would pay: £23.77 (=$29.41 // = €26.31)

:!: Note: this does not refer to a GBZ prototype! It is just an example of how cheap prototype injection moulding can be.

iSP

Post by iSP » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:28 am

johnny-bert wrote:Found an injection moulder in Germany which has an example offer on his homepage:
http://www.protomold.de/protoquote.aspx ... 1476085875

If you change prototype parts quantity (Musterteilezahl) to 100 in this example tools price goes up to £3,097.00 and parts price (100x) will be £180.00 (£1.80 each) so in sum it will be £3,277.00 for 100 prototypes aka buyers.

So every one would pay: £23.77 (=$29.41 // = €26.31)

:!: Note: this does not refer to a GBZ prototype! It is just an example of how cheap prototype injection moulding can be.
This is totally not representative... wrong finish, options etc... (my German is not perfect but from what I can read it is wrong).
Maybe when I'm back from my business trip I'll have a look at prototyping but right now I can't do a thing, tried it over the weekend on my laptop provided by my job but it doesn't do solidworks well I'm afraid. However there's plenty of companies which can do it so I'm sure I can get a decent price over here, or at worst drive to Germany. Again I've claimed looking into it before but right now I just can't, first want to make sure I can transfer from Autocad to Solidworks and can still draw what I want.