AIO 2.2 Borard by Helder

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Heretic

AIO 2.2 Borard by Helder

Post by Heretic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:24 pm

I purchased a AIO v2.2 from Helder back a few years ago. I had to put my GBZ project on hold because of a few things that life threw at me. I recently picked the build back up, got everything working right up until I noticed that the board was not programed, of if it once was, time drained the battery life out of it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to reprogram the board, I have very little knowledge when it comes to this type of thing. I would like to finally get my GBZ working so I can actually play the retro games I have been missing.

Thanks,

Heretic aka Max Martin

rodocop

Re: AIO 2.2 Borard by Helder

Post by rodocop » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:04 am

Heretic wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:24 pm
I purchased a AIO v2.2 from Helder back a few years ago. I had to put my GBZ project on hold because of a few things that life threw at me. I recently picked the build back up, got everything working right up until I noticed that the board was not programed, of if it once was, time drained the battery life out of it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to reprogram the board, I have very little knowledge when it comes to this type of thing. I would like to finally get my GBZ working so I can actually play the retro games I have been missing.

Thanks,

Heretic aka Max Martin
The board would have come pre programmed and the battery would not affect that. What is happening to make you think it isn't programmed? Regardless here is the info on how to flash the board again if needed:

viewtopic.php?t=1228

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 pm

None of the buttons work, despite everything being wired up right. Where can I get one of those USB programmers from. I have one for something else I was working on, but when I try to use it, it does not detect the board. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri May 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Heretic wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 pm
None of the buttons work, despite everything being wired up right. Where can I get one of those USB programmers from. I have one for something else I was working on, but when I try to use it, it does not detect the board. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.
Get a usbasp programmer from eBay or AliExpress .

If the buttons are not working have a look at the data connections from the pi to the board. Do you have pictures of that? The data pads on the pi zero very close together and easy to accidentially bridge when soldering to them

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 am

What data connections from the Pi to the Board? I was under the impression that, that was the whole reason I bought the board, so I would not have to make all the connections for each button.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue May 12, 2020 5:16 am

Heretic wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 am
What data connections from the Pi to the Board? I was under the impression that, that was the whole reason I bought the board, so I would not have to make all the connections for each button.
correct. rodocop is referring to the two usb wires from the board to the pi. the button inputs on the board go to a microcontroller that is built into it, but the usb pads on the zero are very close together, and very easy to bridge. also, make sure to twist those data cables together, which increases the stability.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Heretic wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 am
The data connections on helders board are labelled as INPUT D+ and D-. Those need to be connected to the pi.

This is on a different, older Helder board, but you can see the D+ and D- connections.
SpoilerShow

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 am

Yeah I have those connected.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed May 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Heretic wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 am
Yeah I have those connected.
And have you confirmed that the connections are not bridged on the pi side? They are very close together and easy to bridge. (Use a multimeter to confirm to know for sure).

Also make sure they are connected to the proper pads. As seen in my photo.

Newer pi's don't have the pp22 and pp23 labelled

Heretic

Post by Heretic » Fri May 15, 2020 6:14 pm

Okay, I will check that out this weekend, and get back with you.