Display with Original Bezel?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Synapse

Display with Original Bezel?

Post by Synapse » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:53 pm

Uh Oh... The issue is solved, (see below) but I still have a problem. The numbers posted below work well for the menus, but leave the games under-sized (I downloaded Pokémon Red to test). Is there a way to have an overscan setting for the menus and a different one for the games?

Thanks,

Synapse
Last edited by Synapse on Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilren

Re: Display with Original Bezel?

Post by Kilren » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:05 pm

Synapse wrote:Hi, quick question. Would it be possible to use only a part of the Adafruit TFT Display to keep the original Gameboy bezel? I.e. Could I get the emulator to use just a specified part of the display so that I could preserve the original bezel?

Thanks,

Synapse
I believe you can adjust the overscan, someone else will have to chime in with the coding. However, you might measure and see if you can get a screen closer in size to the OEM bezel. You'll skip some of the potential trouble.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:37 pm

ISSUE RESOLVED!

HUGE thanks to Kilren for mentioning overscan. I was able to figure it out from there. Here are the instructions if anyone else is interested is preserving the original bezel!

1. In command line, enter "sudo nano /boot/config.txt"

2. In the file that this opens, find the line "#overscan_left=16" and the other overscan lines below it.

3. Remove the "#" signs from the beginnings of all four lines.

4. I am still waiting for the Adafruit display to come back in stock, and so I haven't tested it with that display yet, you will, however, have to fiddle with the overscan numbers to achieve the desired result

5. Enter Ctrl+x and then hit the enter key to save the file. You should be returned to command line.

6. Enter "sudo reboot" to reboot the Raspberry Pi and have your changes applied.

*Disclaimer: This has only been tested in Raspbian. I can't figure out how to open the command line in RetroPie! :roll:

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you!

***EDIT 07/19/16***

Tested and confirmed working in RetroPie! To access the command line, just hit F4!

***EDIT 08/12/16***

Just received my 3.5" Composite Display from Adafruit in the mail! It works beautifully with this mod! Here are the values I used to get the right amount of overscan.

Code: Select all

overscan_left=100
overscan_right=100
overscan_top=16
overscan_bottom=16
Last edited by Synapse on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiz

Post by chiz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 am

Were you able to "shrink" the display to the size of the original GB screen using overscan settings along? Curious how it looks like. :D Mind posting some pics?

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:55 pm

chiz wrote:Were you able to "shrink" the display to the size of the original GB screen using overscan settings along? Curious how it looks like. :D Mind posting some pics?
Unfortunately, I haven't started my build yet, as I am still waiting for the Adafruit display to come back in stock. This was just tested on a regular monitor. There is, however, no limit on the amount of overscan that can be added, so there is no reason that it shouldn't work.

Thanks for your interest!

-Synapse

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:50 pm

chiz wrote:Were you able to "shrink" the display to the size of the original GB screen using overscan settings along? Curious how it looks like. :D Mind posting some pics?
Hey Chiz,
The Adafruit display was just back in stock and I bought one, I also got a GameBoy shell from NBGames. As soon as the Adafruit display arrives I will test it in the case and take some pictures.

-Synapse

Camble

Post by Camble » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:16 am

Sounds like you already have an LCD, but I know you can get 2.5" displays. This would fit inside the original bezel nicely and probably save you some space.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Camble wrote:Sounds like you already have an LCD, but I know you can get 2.5" displays. This would fit inside the original bezel nicely and probably save you some space.
True, I believe the original screen was 66mm diagonal. I am sure it could work, however I didn't want to undertake the task of figuring out how to mod the screen to 5V with my limited knowledge of electronics. If, however, you try this, please post pictures, I would love to see the result!

Last bumped by Synapse on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:14 pm.