At long last, my 80s-themed pi3 gbz is complete

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
petran1420

At long last, my 80s-themed pi3 gbz is complete

Post by petran1420 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 pm

It took a little over a year (with some breaks, and building 3 mintyPis as groomsmen gifts) but I finally got my gbz up and running perfect! I went with a translucent blue case and groovy buttons from kitsch-bent:
It has 2 analog sticks, and I had to dremel down the casing around the x and y to make the buttons more accessible. I like the color scheme of the buttons but they don't have the nice 'click and bounce back' feeling of stock buttons, unfortunately.
I offset the positions of shoulder and trigger buttons to accommodate my left hand being farther down on the system when using the analog stick.
A little difficult to view pic of the pi3. As I'm sure people have documented, modifying the pi3 to fit into the dmg case is a scary endeavor, and I'm shocked I didn't kill it. This little board can take a real beating.
Using a pi3 instead of a zero was daunting, especially since it required adding the analog sticks and extra trigger buttons, but I'm so excited to play my favorite psx and n64 games on a dmg retro system:
ImageImage

salami738

Re: At long last, my 80s-themed pi3 gbz is complete

Post by salami738 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:03 am

Nice one! How do you did those buttons?

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:02 am

Those buttons can be bought from kitsch-Bent
Follow me on instagram Image

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:16 am

Nice one! How do you did those buttons?
As Ya-ya mentioned they can be bought from kitsch-bent, but I think I may replace them soon. As oppose to most buttons which are plastic pieces pressing down on silicon(I think) base pads, these are all silicon and thus only once piece. It makes installation easier, but they don't feel as responsive, a little rubbery, and button mashing has a weird feeling to it. I may switch to stock buttons soon, even though I don't think they look as cool.

Vineheart01

Post by Vineheart01 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 am

so theyre basically all the same as the regular gameboy start/select buttons?
That would irritate the hell out of me. Those feel like you gotta mash them to get'm to work.

petran1420

Post by petran1420 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 am

so theyre basically all the same as the regular gameboy start/select buttons?
That would irritate the hell out of me. Those feel like you gotta mash them to get'm to work.
Essentially yes, and it is frustrating. I'll likely go back to the stock buttons.

Killar

Post by Killar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:15 am

Hi petran1420.
Nice build.
How did you did the battery on screen mod?
i don't own a All-in-one board. but i think i saw the mod still being sold seperatly somewhere.

petran1420 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 pm
It took a little over a year (with some breaks, and building 3 mintyPis as groomsmen gifts) but I finally got my gbz up and running perfect! I went with a translucent blue case and groovy buttons from kitsch-bent:
It has 2 analog sticks, and I had to dremel down the casing around the x and y to make the buttons more accessible. I like the color scheme of the buttons but they don't have the nice 'click and bounce back' feeling of stock buttons, unfortunately.
I offset the positions of shoulder and trigger buttons to accommodate my left hand being farther down on the system when using the analog stick.
A little difficult to view pic of the pi3. As I'm sure people have documented, modifying the pi3 to fit into the dmg case is a scary endeavor, and I'm shocked I didn't kill it. This little board can take a real beating.
Using a pi3 instead of a zero was daunting, especially since it required adding the analog sticks and extra trigger buttons, but I'm so excited to play my favorite psx and n64 games on a dmg retro system:
ImageImage

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 am

Killar wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:15 am
Hi petran1420.
Nice build.
How did you did the battery on screen mod?
i don't own a All-in-one board. but i think i saw the mod still being sold seperatly somewhere.
this build has a SAIO, so the battery monitor is built in
there no seperate mod that i'm aware of.....

but this might help you....

http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4585

have a good look in the forums, most things have already been asked for or answered....