DirtyBeagles Build/Progress GBZ (Completed)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
MaKro

Re: DirtyBeagles Build/Progress

Post by MaKro » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:42 am

dirtybeagles wrote:
MaKro wrote:If you play with the amplifier cables while audio is playing is there any effect?
Good question and Yes. When I press my finger on the audio jack (white cable for me or the white cable going into the gameboy volume wheel) it has a huge effect on the static and gets way louder. When I take my finger off it goes back to low static sound.

2016-06-06 09_32_57-file.php (1364×2624).png
Alright so the problem is the ground wire is interfering with the audio. It's obvious that you would get static when putting your finger on the solder points because you're giving them a bridge between them. So you actually aren't supposed to use regular wire, you're supposed to use shielded wire. So go buy some shielded or audio wire.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:03 am

MaKro wrote:Alright so the problem is the ground wire is interfering with the audio. It's obvious that you would get static when putting your finger on the solder points because you're giving them a bridge between them. So you actually aren't supposed to use regular wire, you're supposed to use shielded wire. So go buy some shielded or audio wire.
Very interesting. This is the first I have heard anyone talk about getting specific wire for the audio. I will look around and see what I can grab.

Wait a sec.. Can I use the same wire that are in headphones? that would have to be shielded right?

MaKro

Post by MaKro » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:10 am

dirtybeagles wrote:
MaKro wrote:Alright so the problem is the ground wire is interfering with the audio. It's obvious that you would get static when putting your finger on the solder points because you're giving them a bridge between them. So you actually aren't supposed to use regular wire, you're supposed to use shielded wire. So go buy some shielded or audio wire.
Very interesting. This is the first I have heard anyone talk about getting specific wire for the audio. I will look around and see what I can grab.

Wait a sec.. Can I use the same wire that are in headphones? that would have to be shielded right?
Yes you probably can use the wire from headphones. Headphone wires have a coating of plastic on each strand so it doesn't short. You can melt that off with a soldiering iron. The only problem is they're really thin.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:13 am

MaKro wrote:Yes you probably can use the wire from headphones. Headphone wires have a coating of plastic on each strand so it doesn't short. You can melt that off with a soldiering iron. The only problem is they're really thin.
Well, what about audio cables :) I have some of those laying around. the RED and WHITE cables right? I can use those which are larger.

MaKro

Post by MaKro » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:20 am

dirtybeagles wrote:
MaKro wrote:Yes you probably can use the wire from headphones. Headphone wires have a coating of plastic on each strand so it doesn't short. You can melt that off with a soldiering iron. The only problem is they're really thin.
Well, what about audio cables :) I have some of those laying around. the RED and WHITE cables right? I can use those which are larger.
I'm not sure, you can try it though.

LoafSlice

Post by LoafSlice » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:53 am

[quote="dirtybeagles"]5-8-2016 Progress (Cont.):
11.jpg
13.jpg

What did you connect the teensy to? via the black cable?

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:58 am

LoafSlice wrote:What did you connect the teensy to? via the black cable?
I connected it to a USB port on my PC. the teenzy with the inputs acts just like a keyboard so you can just pull up notepad to confirm all of them work.

MaKro

Post by MaKro » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Any updates?

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:57 am

MaKro wrote:Any updates?
No, before going that route, I ordered a adafruit mono amp to test that first. Also, another forum user Kilren also has the same amp I do and he will be testing his in the next 2 days so I am waiting for his results as well.

Nosfay

Post by Nosfay » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:00 pm

I had same sound problem, and I connected last potentiometer pin to ground to fix it, have you try it ?