Loving the chonky Boxypixel dmg cm3.

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Vernpi

Loving the chonky Boxypixel dmg cm3.

Post by Vernpi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Hay guys just put this together and got it to work. There were some scary moments ( ribbon flap came off but I put it back ) but still kinda funky. This is like building a car. You start with the beginning and it's the same disassembly every time. Gotta get to another part? Gotta take the whole thing down I got pretty good at it only had to take apart a few times. Its beautiful and amazing in the hands. My mode button is hard resetting the system anyone got a clue what that's about? Here's some pics of process. Thanks guys.

Special thanks to dryja123 for the shell and a random ebay donor for the board. Thanks bro this thing is premium. Will be near perfect when I sort the bugs out.

Boxypixel cm3 dmg https://imgur.com/gallery/xGQANw6

Spyder

Re: Loving the chonky Boxypixel dmg cm3.

Post by Spyder » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:50 pm

I wonder if its the heatsink that needs to be shaved for the newer boards that is causing your problem.

Vernpi

Post by Vernpi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Everything is appropriate. I have the cm3 lite. It's like its shorting but i taped everything up nice.

caste

Post by caste » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:25 am

Vernpi wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm
Everything is appropriate. I have the cm3 lite. It's like its shorting but i taped everything up nice.
I had the same issue, the mode board itself is shorting on the case. I re-taped it like 12 times before I finally got it to behave. Specifically (if I remember right, there was a lot of trial and error and this was like 4 months ago) the legs of the button were managing to touch the lip of the case. I kept thinking I had it well insulated but it would continue to happen. I went a lot further with the tape than I thought I needed to and it stopped acting up and all works flawlessly now.

Vernpi

Post by Vernpi » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Perfect. I love you guys I will be trying to overtape it.

Hivetyrant

Post by Hivetyrant » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 am

It's a weird problem, theoretically you shouldn't short anything with the case as it's anodized and non conductive, but there's always a chance that the coating isn't perfect, I think caste is right in that it must be the little board for the mode button itself that is the issue, or the pins on the mode button being so long are somehow touching something they shouldn't.

Vernpi

Post by Vernpi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:19 pm

Hivetyrant wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 am
It's a weird problem, theoretically you shouldn't short anything with the case as it's anodized and non conductive, but there's always a chance that the coating isn't perfect, I think caste is right in that it must be the little board for the mode button itself that is the issue, or the pins on the mode button being so long are somehow touching something they shouldn't.
I have taken it apart to do testing. Even with the sword outside of the case it still shorts. Thought it was the button so I changed and still shorts. I saw little scratches and copper showing. I am chalking it up to a bad switch/mode board. Maybe next order season i could request an extra one for a price of course. I wonder when next orders come out. Until then I'll stick to my true blue one. I can't take that apart unless for some reason I need to put back together I would have to do a rebuild with all new parts.

Vernpi

Post by Vernpi » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm

UPDATE******* after 5 hours of diagnostic without a multimeter I came to the conclusion that the wire harness from the mid board to mode board was giving problems. My daily (normal css with plastic body) had some 3d parts go bad so l and r are sunk so I rebuilt. If you have problems check the connections