Tom's GBZ - Going full noob

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Tom

Tom's GBZ - Going full noob

Post by Tom » Thu May 12, 2016 8:30 am

Hello!

Thought I'd follow suit and post up my build on here like everybody else is! Who knows, I may end up helping someone out...although with the quality of Wermy's tutorials I think that may not be the case!

Finally got around to ordering all the parts I need - mainly from amazon and eBay. May have been cheaper elsewhere, but not really too fussed to be honest!

Broken, untested DMG - £18 - eBay
Replacement housing with new buttons and pads - £12 - eBay (sold out, others available for £18)
Powerboost 1000 Charger - £20 - Amazon
Mono Audio Amplifier - £5 - Amazon
USB Breakout Board - £4 - Amazon
USB Hub - £5 - Amazon
Teensy LC - £18 - Amazon
3.5" BW TFT - £15 - Amazon
1200mah LiPo - £8 - eBay
Tactile Switches/Resistors/Wires/Capacitors/Copper Tape - £~7 - eBay/Amazon
PiZero - FREE!! - Comes free with 12 months subscription to The MagPi Magazine

So...all in this is setting me back about £112...a fair old chunk but I don't really mind!

Kilren

Re: Tom's GBZ - Going full noob

Post by Kilren » Thu May 12, 2016 8:39 am

Tom wrote: PiZero - FREE!! - Comes free with 12 months subscription to The MagPi Magazine

So...all in this is setting me back about £112...a fair old chunk but I don't really mind!
Don't mean to be a jerk, but just double checking that you got a "free" rpi0 after paying $130! XD Otherwise, looks like you're going to have fun with the build! Good luck. Pictures or it didn't happen.

I would recommend a larger battery, especially if you expect any substantial gameplay not plugged in.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 12, 2016 8:41 am

Kilren wrote:
Tom wrote: PiZero - FREE!! - Comes free with 12 months subscription to The MagPi Magazine

Don't mean to be a jerk, but just double checking that you got a "free" rpi0 after paying $130! XD Otherwise, looks like you're going to have fun with the build! Good luck. Pictures, or it didn't happen.
The magazine in the UK released a special edition magazine with a free raspberry pi zero. Their website said to ring and get it as part of the subscription (which I was buying anyway...) and I did! Just waiting for delivery

EDIT - The subscription is £55 in the UK...given that Pi0 are selling for £25-30 each...it's free! As I say, I was going to buy it anyway
Last edited by Tom on Thu May 12, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 12, 2016 8:42 am

Kilren wrote: I would recommend a larger battery, especially if you expect any substantial gameplay not plugged in.
That's the plan. The one I bought was the only one available in the UK with the form factor I need. As/When it's all built, I'll be getting a larger one to replace it!

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu May 12, 2016 8:44 am

Tom wrote:
Kilren wrote:

Don't mean to be a jerk, but just double checking that you got a "free" rpi0 after paying $130! XD Otherwise, looks like you're going to have fun with the build! Good luck. Pictures, or it didn't happen.
The magazine in the UK released a special edition magazine with a free raspberry pi zero. Their website said to ring and get it as part of the subscription (which I was buying anyway...) and I did! Just waiting for delivery
Yeah, i guess if you were already going to buy the sub then it works perfect! Good luck man. I've heard some people pulling off 3000 and even 3500mah with proper planning and clean work.

Someone on the forums was mentioning that the new rpi0 stock should be in on monday. Might be a good place to keep an eye out if you're thinking of more than one GBZ. I know if I can get my hands on a couple through the following months, I will. Will make cool future gifts to the right person.

ckaystudios

Post by ckaystudios » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:48 pm

"Going full noob" should be painted at the top of your GBZ :lol: :lol: :lol: that is awesome haha