Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (Completed!)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
fdeluxe

Re: Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (WIP)

Post by fdeluxe » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Great build! But I anticipate that you'll going to get some serious ergonomic issues with the placement of the L and R buttons. There's no way you'll be able to use both analogs and manage to press one of the trigger buttons in a comfortable way and still be able to precisely operate the sticks.
I have been there and switched to the L/R buttons of a snes controller. And I advice that you at least place the buttons above the battery compartment.

$3ck

Post by $3ck » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Looks Good :)

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:17 pm

fdeluxe wrote:Great build! But I anticipate that you'll going to get some serious ergonomic issues with the placement of the L and R buttons. There's no way you'll be able to use both analogs and manage to press one of the trigger buttons in a comfortable way and still be able to precisely operate the sticks.
I have been there and switched to the L/R buttons of a snes controller. And I advice that you at least place the buttons above the battery compartment.
I placed them there because I personally thought they were comfortable there, though ;)
The position looks worse than it is really.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:42 pm

My replacement screen came in the mail today and I worked a bit to get it in. Everything is fine now :)

Also, since the sparkfun leonardo clone I use does not have USB broken out, I decided to take a broken µUSB cable, get the µUSB part out of it and solder wires to it which just plugs into the µUSB port of the leonardo. Then I tested all buttons and the analog sticks in retropie by shorting the button pins to GND and testing the actual analog sticks. All 14 buttons and both analog sticks work flawlessly. :)

All that is missing now is the common ground button pcb from kitsch-bent and the project is done. :)

Also, here is me trying out FFIX

It runs flawlessly. :D
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Ziggurat wrote:I am also trying to fit a Pi3 in my DMG, but I want to leave my Cartridge slot for SD card expansion :)

http://imgur.com/9so6zAa Here are my cutting plans, I think I am going to go for orange. Maybe red.
You may want to have a look at [mention]chiz[/mention]'s build: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=55

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:17 pm

sotasystems wrote:Just a quick little update:

My Leonardo Pro Micro came in the mail today and I started playing with.

I basicaly edited my Arduino's HID.cpp and USBAPI.h files and wrote an arduino sketch along with it. Works like a charm :)

So far I only have the analog sticks hooked up of course because my button PCB takes a while to get here from the U.S., but I also tested them by shorting pins to GND and it works! :D

(Sorry for the quality, I was too lazy to take a screenshot :?)
Mind sharing your code and edited files?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:41 am

Helder wrote:
sotasystems wrote:Just a quick little update:

My Leonardo Pro Micro came in the mail today and I started playing with.

I basicaly edited my Arduino's HID.cpp and USBAPI.h files and wrote an arduino sketch along with it. Works like a charm :)

So far I only have the analog sticks hooked up of course because my button PCB takes a while to get here from the U.S., but I also tested them by shorting pins to GND and it works! :D

(Sorry for the quality, I was too lazy to take a screenshot :?)
Mind sharing your code and edited files?
Sure, let me write a little guide for that:

(Moved to a dedicated guide post): http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1766
Last edited by sotasystems on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:49 am

Just another idea I had I will add to this gameboy:

I noticed that the Powerboost's battery low indicator is fairly inacurate in my option.
I have recorded myself playing Ocarina of Time untill the battery is flat with a voltmeter hooked up to the battery to see what voltages is at what times. The battery lasts for 2 hours and 1 minute. :)

I have thought of making my own battery monitoring device which does the following:

- Constantly read battery voltage
- Indicate when battery is at 3.54 Volts (that's about 10-12 minutes before the battery reaches 3.2 Volts)
- Safe-shutdown the Raspberry Pi at 3.2 Volts.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 pm

sotasystems wrote:Just another idea I had I will add to this gameboy:

I noticed that the Powerboost's battery low indicator is fairly inacurate in my option.
I have recorded myself playing Ocarina of Time untill the battery is flat with a voltmeter hooked up to the battery to see what voltages is at what times. The battery lasts for 2 hours and 1 minute. :)

I have thought of making my own battery monitoring device which does the following:

- Constantly read battery voltage
- Indicate when battery is at 3.54 Volts (that's about 10-12 minutes before the battery reaches 3.2 Volts)
- Safe-shutdown the Raspberry Pi at 3.2 Volts.
:) I used an arduino uno to realize that, since I have alot of spare ATmega328 chips:

I tested everything on a breadboard and it works fine. I used two resistors to make a voltage divider to 1.1 volts for the internal reference. To simulate a battery at different levels, I used a lab bench power supply:

Then I took the chip, soldered on the voltage divider I made and the 16 MHz crystal with caps so I have a "compact" design like this:

Now I have a battery monitoring device which tells when the battery is low at 3.54 Volts. It will then light the red LED. about 10-12 minutes later, I have measured that the battery is at about 3.2 Volts. That should be enough time to tell the user it is about time to save everything and prepare to shutdown. If after this 10 minutes the user didn't decide to shutdown however, the Arduino will check on the voltage until it reaches 3.2 Volts and then safe-shutdowns the RPi via GPIO. Also, the Arduino reads if an external supply is connected to charge via usb and the shutdown will be interrupted.

(Sorry for the blurrynes. You can still make out the voltage and the red LED lighting up though).

UPDATE: THIS RELAY HAS BEEN REMOVED, I AM USING 470k AND 100k RESISTORS AS VOLTAGE DIVIDER, SEE [mention]kite[/mention]'S POST TO SEE WHY.

Also, to connect/disconnect the battery from the voltage divider when the gameboy is off (because that would drain the battery even when the gameboy is off, orz) I used a micro-relay for 5 Volts and 200 mW power consumption with a diode soldered to the coil accordingly, which shorts out the coil when turned off. This is important, because the voltage spikes induced can get very high and could potentialy kill pretty much anything including the screen/raspberry pi/the leonardo etc. To eliminate those spikes, a diode shorts the coil out when inducing a voltage.

Last edited by sotasystems on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kite

Re:

Post by kite » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:47 am

Did you measure the current consumption of that relay being help on? Would it not be better to just use high value resistors?

For example, if you used a 100k and 300k, the total resistance to ground would be 400k.. if you had a 1000mAh battery, this resistor divider would drain the battery flat in 11 years!! If you had a more modest 3000mAh battery it would drain it in just over 32 years ;)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage