Peoplesbeer GBZ (WIP) - Progress update

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
peoplesbeer

Re: Peoplesbeer GBZ (WIP) - Startup and questions

Post by peoplesbeer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:38 am

Ok, I'll try that! The Pi boots when I plug the charger right to it so it's not fried, yet. :lol:

Edit: googled and found a PP-description for the Pi and yes, I've wired the PP1 wrong. Well that makes me feel stupid. :D
I know I've watched that same googled picture earlier...

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:35 pm

It worked, lol. :D
Also added the screen to the powerstrip instead of having it through the Pi.

Now: try to program my Teensy ripoff and then go for the audio part.

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Finally got some time for this again and of course I stumbled upon another problem.
The Atmega32u4. I programmed it with @Fleder's version I found on the forum and everything is wired up to the PCB according to the comments @Fleder made in the script.

It works when I connect it to my Macbook but the Pi doesn't seem to recognize it and asks me for input. Any ideas?
See added pictures:

Tomorrow I'm getting an USB hub, found a store nearby who has 4x USB ports for $5, no need for China this time. :lol:
At first I was thinking I should skip the hub part but earlier today I found a tiny wifi dongle at my office so, what the heck, let's add it.
Last edited by peoplesbeer on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sotasystems

Re: Peoplesbeer GBZ (WIP) - Atmega32u4 not recognized?

Post by sotasystems » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Try if the USB on the Pi works with an OTG adapter if you have one. If you use a Pi v1.3 then it's worth taking a look at this:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1345
Last edited by sotasystems on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:41 am

sotasystems: That's how it's connected right now, through an OTG adapter (think I got it when I bought the RPI0-bundle?)...
The Pi itself is a 1.2 since I fried my 1.3 early in the build and only had a 1.2 at home already.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:14 am

Try connecting a keyboard to the USB port and then press F4 to see if a terminal comes up. If it does, you can be sure your USB port is OK
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 pm

sotasystems: Thanks, I'm trying it as we speak and doesn't seem to work at all. I have the keyboard plugged into the USB OTG which goes to RPI.
Nothing happens when I enter the Welcome screen, even the num lock light on the keyboard won't turn on.
Measured PP22 and PP23, gives me 3.12V, any suggestions?

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Anyone? :cry:

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Still no luck with getting my RPIz to recognize keyboard, buttons etc.
This weekend I'm gonna try to reflash both RetroPie and my Atmega32u4 just to eliminate all possible issues with it but I've already ordered new Zeros. So hopefully I can continue with this real soon, not having buttons working is kinda of a dealbreaker. :lol:

Earlier this week I got a pretty neat battery level indicator which have 5 LEDs: 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, Power.
Gonna try to add separate 3mm LEDs on a wire to it and place it somewhere nice, not sure where yet.
Also I just placed an order for new button wells, the ones I have 3D printed are not quite in level with the wells in the case which makes the X & Y stand a bit lower than A & B.

To be continued!

peoplesbeer

Re: Peoplesbeer GBZ (WIP) - Progress update

Post by peoplesbeer » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:25 am

Update:

So the Atmega worked just fine. It's amazing how some type of cables and boards just aren't compatible with each other.
My Atmega32u4 wasn't recognized in the computer, grabbed another USB cable and suddenly it worked.
Same board didn't seem to work in my project but after removing my USB hub, it worked.
Conclusion: try different type of cables if you have other ones and grab one of the USB hubs that are listed in the Wiki to be sure you have one that SHOULD work.

I've gone through 2 hubs already and my third one is on its way, hopefully I get it today.
Yesterday my PRS cartridge board arrived and I realised I didn't have the right tools for opening the cartridge up (using an OEM card). So, that's another $5 to the build, not including the extra two USB hubs I had to buy.

Oh, I also bought new volume pots from Handheldlegend and new tactile switches on eBay. Another ~$15.
Getting expensive now... :lol: