Mad_Duke's Pi3 project

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Mad_Duke

Mad_Duke's Pi3 project

Post by Mad_Duke » Fri May 20, 2016 3:18 am

Hi guys.

I've been spamming Chiz's topic so decided to open my own. Should get the case and the buttons today or tomorrow so I will update with live ones.

The build itself should look something like this (with white buttons) :)

Managed to kill one screen so waiting for replacements (kudos to myself) :/.

It's not a lot of info for a first post but need to start somewhere on the forum. :)

Retrohead95

Re: Mad_Duke's Pi3 project

Post by Retrohead95 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:32 am

Mad_Duke wrote:Hi guys.

I've been spamming Chiz's topic so decided to open my own. Should get the case and the buttons today or tomorrow so I will update with live ones.

The build itself should look something like this (with white buttons) :)

Managed to kill one screen so waiting for replacements (kudos to myself) :/.

It's not a lot of info for a first post but need to start somewhere on the forum. :)
Awesome can't wait to see your progress. I did some research and I found someone else who's using a Pi 3 in their gameboy(finally lol). Here's the link http://forums.modretro.com/index.php?th ... ket.14998/. They also use a 3000mah battery and claim 3-4 hours gameplay which seem great for a pi 3. Think I might try the pi3 too and if all doesn't go well I could use my pi zero. I also added an analog stick that I'll wire to my GPIO w/ the buttons to save space and $20. Nothing near as good as you're working on though :D

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Fri May 27, 2016 5:47 am

So. It was my first time with a dremel and I've screwed up the casing pretty hard (well, not that hard, just the buttons, but it didn't sit with me so decided to go "all the way". Screwed the first two front button holes, then after doing the next two I got better. Apparently my dremel was working too slow and suddenly the day after it started working normally.
[spoiler="Click to open"]Image[/spoiler]
(by now I'm quite good.)

So I've said I'll completely scuff it up (already started but will continue later) and make a Fallout 2 themed case. I'll also cut out the part with the speaker and completely expose it (through transparent acrylic with a green LED underneath). Also will cut the lower left and put a vault-boy picture with black surrounding on green acrylic so it he only glows green with the underneath LED)

I'll be also ordering a new one so I can have two cases. One really clean and nice white one and one "burnt up", painted Fallout themed "old one". I just need to get the red buttons for the fallout one.

I've decided to go with 6 button on the front and will include 2 tactile buttons on the back

I've used an old R1 and R2 PCB from an old broken joystick and filled it down with a dremel all the way until I've basically reached the copper part (it's now paper thin) and glued it to the PCB. I'll be using a flat cable to for all the buttons to the PI and the two extra tactile switches will go separately (Those I'll connect directy to the GPIO to avoid routing wires down to the PCB and then back again).

[spoiler="PCB - Front"]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler="PCB - Back"]Image[/spoiler]
I've drilled the kitsch-bent PCB to more easily route the wires of the new 2 buttons.

--

So, I've ordered two screens and are still waiting for them (and the battery). But will also order two more cases. One will be for the clean gameboy with raspberry PI, and the other will be for my second project in a month or two.

A Gameboy equipped with
http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/catalog/ ... 162/501535

Retrohead95

Post by Retrohead95 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Pictures aren't showing for me :(

Mad_Duke

Post by Mad_Duke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Finally caught some time, will be working during the next few weekends.
It was crazy last couple of months at work etc.

This is my setup.

So, 640x480 screen, AiO from Helder (awesome job) and a Pi3

Space left of the Pi3 will be for any charging electronics. Since my battery died I haven't yet decided what I will place. I will either remove the bay and place something like Popcorn did
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=414

Or I will try and find something like this. Because of the looks and completely usable battery bay I would be most glad if I could cram something like this inside:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Batte ... B00HCBDV10

Concerning the cartridge slot. I still have enough room for a female USB and then just mod a cartridge. I will most probably put a 4G connection stick which can make a wifi hot spot because it also contains a microSD card for storage so that could be a fun expansion combination. I would get internet access hotspot on the go and additional storage :P Or just place a USB stick inside.