HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:46 am

The_Ginger wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am
Maybe a stupid question, but how did you connect the 4 pogo pins to 2 wires?
Only two of the pogo pins are needed. If you have a connector with two pogo pins that fit with your battery, then that can be used also. I just used what I had and connected negative and positive leads to their respective terminals on the battery.

User avatar
drafterITA
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:15 am
Location: Italy
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by drafterITA » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:36 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:46 am
The_Ginger wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am
Maybe a stupid question, but how did you connect the 4 pogo pins to 2 wires?
Only two of the pogo pins are needed. If you have a connector with two pogo pins that fit with your battery, then that can be used also. I just used what I had and connected negative and positive leads to their respective terminals on the battery.
I see on ebay that they sell just the pogo pins, would it be possible in theory to stick 4 or them to a piece of perboard for example, and connect the 2 wires this way?
Great job.. I'm taking a lot of inspiration for my Kite build from yours :)
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:41 am

drafterITA wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:36 am
HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:46 am
The_Ginger wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am
Maybe a stupid question, but how did you connect the 4 pogo pins to 2 wires?
Only two of the pogo pins are needed. If you have a connector with two pogo pins that fit with your battery, then that can be used also. I just used what I had and connected negative and positive leads to their respective terminals on the battery.
I see on ebay that they sell just the pogo pins, would it be possible in theory to stick 4 or them to a piece of perboard for example, and connect the 2 wires this way?
Great job.. I'm taking a lot of inspiration for my Kite build from yours :)
Yes that is a possibility. As long as they are making a solid connection with the positive and negative terminal of the battery. Most phone batteries have three or four connection tabs. Only two are needed, positive and negative. Most times they are marked on the battery. Make sure you connect the pogo pins to the right terminals. :)

User avatar
drafterITA
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:15 am
Location: Italy
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Contact:

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by drafterITA » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:41 am
drafterITA wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:36 am
HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:46 am


Only two of the pogo pins are needed. If you have a connector with two pogo pins that fit with your battery, then that can be used also. I just used what I had and connected negative and positive leads to their respective terminals on the battery.
I see on ebay that they sell just the pogo pins, would it be possible in theory to stick 4 or them to a piece of perboard for example, and connect the 2 wires this way?
Great job.. I'm taking a lot of inspiration for my Kite build from yours :)
Yes that is a possibility. As long as they are making a solid connection with the positive and negative terminal of the battery. Most phone batteries have three or four connection tabs. Only two are needed, positive and negative. Most times they are marked on the battery. Make sure you connect the pogo pins to the right terminals. :)
I'll bookmark that battery you used and I'll try to buy the same, hopefully they ship to Italy, I like the idea of not cutting the battery compartment and having such an easy removal mechanism :D
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

The_Ginger
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by The_Ginger » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:53 am

I've managed to salvage this battery connector from a phone I dropped in the toilet a few years ago. These are not pogo, but bendable pins and i can probably solder the wires to the back. Will it be good enough? (I'm sorry for the shitty picture quality but the camera of my phone is a little scratched)
Attachments
IMG_20170404_164500.jpg
IMG_20170404_164500.jpg (510.48 KiB) Viewed 4322 times

User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:55 am

Yes, you could make that work. Just make sure pins are the same pitch as your battery.

User avatar
jostie94
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:34 am
Location: the netherlands
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by jostie94 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:30 pm

did you used a protection circuit with that battery? i just ordered 2 for my project.
i want to use these battery's whit a powerboost 1000c, can i wire these directly to the powerboost?
my GBZ builds:
1) http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3197
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:36 pm

jostie94 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:30 pm
did you used a protection circuit with that battery? i just ordered 2 for my project.
i want to use these battery's whit a powerboost 1000c, can i wire these directly to the powerboost?
Battery already has circuit protection inside. Just make sure to use the marked plus and minus pins. You can use with a Powerboost no problem.


User avatar
Camble
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 2:31 am
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 487 times

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by Camble » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Looks great! Loving the black trim and buttons and how clean the build is.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest