HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
HoolyHoo

Re: HoolyHoo's GBZ with Kite's SAIO

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:50 pm
The one thing I love about your build besides how clean and simple it is. The shoulder button placement. I have been looking other builds trying to get ideas and see what works best. Do you remember what switch/button you used for this shoulder buttons. I could assume the typical 6x6x9 button.

Your build looks amazing the more I look at it.

I ordered one your brackets for the screen and can't wait to use it!
Thank you for those comments. I used buttons from this assorted pack.
http://www.banggood.com/140Pcs-14-Types ... ds=myorder
It's one of the 6x6 ones just don't remember which length it was but it was one which protruded enough to be easy to push but not too long where it looked awkward.
One thing to keep in mind, I made a "special edition" of my bracket because the switches have to sit a few mm lower than the bracket or the switches will be too high. You can probably see it in the bracket picture on the first post. You could just hand notch the regular bracket and that would work also but since it was easier for me I just designed it with the notches. :D

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Aahhh I got your screen bracket the other day and now that you mention it. I started looking at it and I might just have to put some small notches in it if I decide to go for the same button positions.

The button placement has been something I have been struggling for my first build since I have big hands and putting them on the back or bottom half makes it awkward and not user friendly. Plus I would like to lay the game boy flat while charging and now have to worry about not pushing buttons. That is why I am a big fan of your button placement. It seems the 6x6x9 is a popular choice but might be too long. I will check out the link and see what's going on. Thanks for info.

The Jack of Clubs

Post by The Jack of Clubs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
you really need to flip out the gray start and select buttons for black ones. maybe these? http://www.supergamegirl.com/product/si ... tons-parts

reipet

Post by reipet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:56 am

For the Cartridge wiring, is there a reason you put both line on separate contacts but for the other three you combined one line together?

Im thinking to use the PCB for the cartridge with the micro SD-Card reader on it and add the LEDs like you did. So that means another 8 wires to connect. Not sure if I use a connector like you did if it will cause problems with SD-Card Reader for wire length, signal interference etc?

Also Im trying to take your 3D printed bracket and add or somehow attach another combined bracket for the mode switch and power button.
As well for mounting the shoulder buttons in a lower position as yours.
Not sure how to fix the brackets then in the case yet but I thinking about something like clips or clamps from the back shell.
Would be useful to have some 3D data of the case...
Target is no need to use hot glue to fix things inside, also fully remove-able later.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 am

reipet wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:56 am
For the Cartridge wiring, is there a reason you put both line on separate contacts but for the other three you combined one line together?

Im thinking to use the PCB for the cartridge with the micro SD-Card reader on it and add the LEDs like you did. So that means another 8 wires to connect. Not sure if I use a connector like you did if it will cause problems with SD-Card Reader for wire length, signal interference etc?

Also Im trying to take your 3D printed bracket and add or somehow attach another combined bracket for the mode switch and power button.
As well for mounting the shoulder buttons in a lower position as yours.
Not sure how to fix the brackets then in the case yet but I thinking about something like clips or clamps from the back shell.
Would be useful to have some 3D data of the case...
Target is no need to use hot glue to fix things inside, also fully remove-able later.
I ran 6 wires total for the LED's to the cartridge. Three LED's use a common ground so that's one wire for the cathodes. Three more wires for the anodes of those LED's. The other LED has a separate ground so that's the last two wires for a total of six. Hope that makes sense.

I haven't had any issues with interference. :D

reipet

Post by reipet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:31 am

Do you mind to share the 3D data for the screen cutout template with us? THX!

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:43 am

reipet wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:31 am
Do you mind to share the 3D data for the screen cutout template with us? THX!
Link to the STL is in the first post.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2715

Billy Blaze

Post by Billy Blaze » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
[...] I got the idea that maybe I can connect the status led's to a real cartridge pcb and have it connect to Kites board through the connector. [...]
LED PCBShow
Four colored 3mm LED's
This idea is superb!

inspired by your post I did a similar attempt but unfortunately fried one of the LED's. kite just told me that the charging LED is NOT a common ground, and I had to wire both pins separately and not use them for anything else.
now that I know that, I have to remove the three leg LED as well and replace it with a standard one because of the limitations of the six pin connector I'm using (like seen in your pictures).

since this is the first time for me working with LED's I still got some questions remaining:
a) which of the three leg connections did you choose?
b) which sort of 3mm LED's do I have to buy? I got some way too bright and some really low glowing LED's laying around. what specs do I have to look for?
I hope you can enlighten me...

cheers

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Fri May 12, 2017 5:50 am

Billy Blaze wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 am
HoolyHoo wrote:
[...] I got the idea that maybe I can connect the status led's to a real cartridge pcb and have it connect to Kites board through the connector. [...]
LED PCBShow
Four colored 3mm LED's
This idea is superb!

inspired by your post I did a similar attempt but unfortunately fried one of the LED's. kite just told me that the charging LED is NOT a common ground, and I had to wire both pins separately and not use them for anything else.
now that I know that, I have to remove the three leg LED as well and replace it with a standard one because of the limitations of the six pin connector I'm using (like seen in your pictures).

since this is the first time for me working with LED's I still got some questions remaining:
a) which of the three leg connections did you choose?
b) which sort of 3mm LED's do I have to buy? I got some way too bright and some really low glowing LED's laying around. what specs do I have to look for?
I hope you can enlighten me...

cheers
Earlier in this post I believe I explained I used 6 wires for that very reason as you have to have two separate grounds but by now you have figured that out. ;)

For the three legged connection LED, use the CENTER hole on his board (which is ground) and the one closest to the OUTSIDE of the board.. so the hole closest to the 'CHG' LED pins.

As far as LED's are concerned, I just used garden variety 3mm LED's with the colors I wanted. No need for resistors as they are already on kites board. You can get some LED's from here or anywhere else really.
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/ro ... -leds.html

If you get stuck, let me know how I can help. :D

inches

Post by inches » Sun May 14, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm really digging the all black thing you've got going on there.

Where'd you get the case with the black Nintendo text?
Your next build should include a Compute Module 3! Sign-up to be notified about the CeMu Partner Pre-Order:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3148

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 1-5] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3003

My Compute Module 3 build [Update 6+] http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 00&p=33219

My guide to Soldering kits http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3024