Max's Gameboy Color Zero

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Max

Re: Max's Gameboy Color Zero

Post by Max » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:55 am

Here we are. My Gameboy Color Zero is almost finished !!!

I haven't put any photo of the case after I cut it, so voilà :

And here with all the components connected with each other.

For now I have a few things to fix, to go with a completely working Gameboy, like cut a bit more the case (1mm) to fit the battery, some system improvement to center the screen. Then I would like to desolder the LEDs from the powerboost to put them in the hole near the screen, and get a feed back about the battery.

daboosa

Post by daboosa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 am

This is a fantastic build, thanks for sharing with us :)

Max

Post by Max » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 am

Hello guys,

I haven't posted for while, even if my Gameboy Color Zero is working since 2 months.

Here the final result :

The battery life is around 2 hours. I successfully deported the low battery led from the powerboost (and it is soooooooooooooo tiny to solder) to the hole next to the screen, so I know when I have to gracefully shutdown my system manually :lol: :lol: . The LED is on around 15 minutes before the battery is empty. I tried to do the same with the charging led, but I haven't succeeded.

I cut a cartridge to put it in the cartridge room without taking so much place. So now my GBCZ looks like an original GBC, except the USB port on the side ;)

That's it. If you have any question about my build, or if you want more detail, just ask.
Last edited by Max on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny2Dicks

Post by Johnny2Dicks » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:06 pm

The alignment of the resistors on that tft pcb, tho. Jesus. That has to be by design, right? Or did it really just come with every single resistor cockeyed?

Anyhoo, I began work on a glow-in-the-dark Gameboy color zero mod today myself. I am going to attempt to cram a 3.5 inch screen in there. I will provide updates if anyone is interested.

Seriously, that board though. I would hope for the premium adafruit charges, that there is a reason it looks like half the sm resistors are directly soldered to eachother end to end.

Beelzebummer

Post by Beelzebummer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 am

Johnny2Dicks wrote:I am going to attempt to cram a 3.5 inch screen in there. I will provide updates if anyone is interested.
I was just trying to work this out on my own, needless to say I'm interested in updates.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:17 am

Johnny2Dicks wrote:The alignment of the resistors on that tft pcb, tho. Jesus. That has to be by design, right? Or did it really just come with every single resistor cockeyed?
I was looking at that myself and I thought it was badly hand soldered at first but it seems it's intentional(edit: actually no it doesn't... see below.) lots of resistors and caps are sharing a common point (probably ground)and using essentially one large pad instead of 2 small ones.
ignore this Im wrong see belowShow
quite a cunning trick. not sure what purpose it serves as it doesn't seem to be saving any space!
So what I now think has happened is they've used too much solder paste and when it's been sent to the reflow oven, the surface tension of the molten solder has pulled the ends of components together which are so close together there's no solder mask between them. not a problem per se as they are close together because they are in common with each other i.e. at ground
Last edited by abrugsch on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mikethesith200

Post by Mikethesith200 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:13 am

Hey Max, all the photos are gone. Anyway you can link them? I'd love to see what you have done as I'm working on my own GBCZ

cobramike

Post by cobramike » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 am

Verry nice build. Verry nice
Whooo Stop befor ask in a post. First use the search or the wiki befor you make a topic.. Just saying.........

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 am

This is great to see. I have a lot of fond memories of the GBC myself. Do you think there'd be enough room to at least add an X and Y? Or is it just not possible given the layout?

C.Egret

Post by C.Egret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:29 am

No video showing the finish work?