Gameboy Zero - RGB, USB, JST, oh my!

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
muniosi

Gameboy Zero - RGB, USB, JST, oh my!

Post by muniosi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:57 pm

With what should be the last of my parts on the way, I thought I'd go ahead and begin my build write-up. I haven't had a chance to wire anything up yet, primarily because I am scared to use my dad's crappy ancient soldering iron and my new one doesn't arrive until Thursday. However, I'll detail my plans for the build and post pictures as my parts arrive and are assembled.

I'll skip all the standard GBZ stuff you've seen a million times before and focus on the three things I wanted to make unique: a single RGB status LED, JST connectors between the two halves of the build (for the sake of neatness), and a cartridge with a USB drive built in.

>RGB status LED
I didn't like the idea of having four LEDs to determine the battery status of my GBZ, so I started looking into ways to use just one RGB LED. I wanted the LED to be green when powered on, red when the battery was low, orange when charging, and blue when fully charged. Thanks to documentation from @sotasystems and @Helder, not only was I able to get this to work on an Arduino, I made it run on the microcontroller already included on my all-in-one board! This made it possible to add this unique feature with virtually no extra bulk -- a huge win in my book.

Because Helder's AIO doesn't have any unused PWM pins, I had to use R1, R2, and L2 for red, green, and blue on my LED. Using R2 and L2 wasn't a problem since I'm not using those buttons anyway, but I had to reprogram the board to use the Y axis of the analog stick for R1. (Since I was doing that, I went ahead and remapped L1 to the X axis just so they'd be close together.)

I'm going to put the LED in the DMG's power port as it fits nicely and won't require any case modification.

>JST connectors
Inspired by @VeteranGamers' build, I decided to use a few JST (or similar) connectors so that the two halves of my build could be easily disconnected in case I need to open it up.

I mocked up a wiring diagram. Items on the right side of the screen will be in the bottom half of the Gameboy, while the stuff on the left will be in the top. The boxes with diagonal lines represent where the connectors will be.
Wiring diagramShow
>USB cartridge
This idea came about from several things I wanted to do. I really wanted to have actual buttons for L and R instead of tactile switches, and the most comfortable place for them (for me) was right above the battery compartment. However, if the L and R buttons are there, there is no room for the cartridge slot. Thus, this was born:
SpoilerShow
I'm going to put a USB drive inside of the cartridge. This way, ROMs (or other files) can be easily transferred from my PC to the Pi.

The two silicone pieces in the image represent where L & R will be. I haven't yet decided if I want to try to mount the buttons and the USB port on a custom-made PCB, or just rig something up with perfboard. It seems USB ports have strange pitch between the terminals, making the perfboard solution difficult.
Weird pitchShow
Anybody know what to do about this?

Update: Finished the cartridge!
USB cartridgeShow

I'll post more updates when I make more progress!
Last edited by muniosi on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've just finished my milk.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Gameboy Zero - RGB, USB, JST, oh my!

Post by Helder » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Just push them apart a bit and they fit in fine in a standard pitch board.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm
Just push them apart a bit and they fit in fine in a standard pitch board.
Will try that, thanks!

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Well, it turns out my USB port for the cartirdge slot is too long for the cartridge to fit. Thus, I have a shorter one on order. It seems that every time I place an order thinking it will be the last one, something new comes up... :lol:

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:36 pm

I received my glass screen protector from kitsch-bent today... and it's broken. Awaiting a response.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:34 pm

:mrgreen: Interesting build... i will follow this thread !

Could you give some details on how you managed the rgb led for battery status ? It sounds really nice and will look even cleaner than having hundreds of leds as i've planned on the top of the cartridge :mrgreen:
Follow me on instagram Image

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:18 pm

YaYa wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:34 pm
:mrgreen: Interesting build... i will follow this thread !

Could you give some details on how you managed the rgb led for battery status ? It sounds really nice and will look even cleaner than having hundreds of leds as i've planned on the top of the cartridge :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'll link the Arduino sketch I used. Follow @Helder's guide to program his AIO with it. It's currently set up to send a signal to one of the GPIO pins on the Pi to shut down when the battery gets too low, but I have an experimental sketch that will use USB instead (less soldering that way!)

GPIO version
USB version

Be warned that I am quite inexperienced with programming and I haven't actually tested either of these sketches yet so they probably won't work quite right. I believe it will work on other Arduino models (it worked on my Uno) but you'll have to change the pins and remove all the Gamepad stuff.

EDIT: modified the USB version to fix the remapped buttons.

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Update! I finished the USB cartridge and it works great! Once my perfboard arrives I'll be able to finish the cartridge slot/shoulder button assembly.
USB cartridgeShow

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Really nice !
Follow me on instagram Image

Elmafioso90

Post by Elmafioso90 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 am

The cartridge idea is amazing. You have been able to fit both shoulder buttons and a working removable cartridge. Well done!