A couple of weeks ago I figured it would be fun to try my hand at CAD software. While I use 3D software almost daily I never really had a try at creating models for 3D printing or CNC. So to learn a software and to wrap my head around some of the concepts used in CAD I fooled around and created an almost complete model of a classic Game Boy case and while at it made it a Game Boy Zero.
The thing is – now that I am pretty much finished I have little use for it. I don't have a 3D printer and I haven't planned on creating an actual model from it for myself. So I figured maybe someone else might have use for it.
The measurements for this model have been taken from an original classic Game Boy DMG and I did my best to reproduce it as accurately as possible. Most parts should be placed correctly (that is down to a fifth of a mm) as long as they are possible to measure without destroying the case I used. However there is still a margin of error due to me making mistakes or parts being so inaccessible that I couldn't get a clear measurement and simply had to guess.
Also the model is not fully finished in and around the battery slot. This is because I still haven't built my first GBZ and was not quite sure which parts of it I would want to remove. On top of this right now the three parts of the model fit each other tightly in the software without even the slightest space in between. I do not have any experience in working on a usable model so that might turn out to be a small problem.
Furthermore I have not been able to actually test the model. As I mentioned I do not have access to a 3D printer.
The GBZ features so far include holes and mounting for additional buttons, large screen cutout and removal of the affected counterbores and the cutout for the USB needed for kite's SAIO board.
Soooo... to finish this – would anyone be interested in such a model? I would take the time to clean it up, add/remove features where possible and upload an STL or whatever format is best for printing.
- added a tiny bit of space between parts
- added pins to hold the rubber buttons
- added simple cuts to the battery slot
- suppressed counterbores
- added supports left to battery bay
- reworked the model hierarchy so that separate parts should be recognized by other programs
- moved lots of parts around slightly so that the model should fit kite's SAIO better
- removed pins for additional rubber pads as they would interfere with the SAIO
- added models for the x-pad, the AB-buttons, the on/off switch and the plug for the EXT.CONNECTOR slot in case anyone might ever need them (please note that most of those are at the origin, you might have to move them yourself before printing – for the .STLs everything is separated)
- fixed the bool error in the battery tray
- added details to the cartridge tray
2018 01 28 – v62
.F3D, .SAT, .SKP, .STEP & separated .STL
2017 12 09 – v61
2017 08 20 – v60
.SAT, .SKP, .STEP & separated .STL
2017 08 16 – v51
.SAT, .SKP & separated .STL
2017 08 15 – v50
.IGS, .SAT, .SKP, .SMT, .STEP & .STL
2017 08 13 – v48 (initial upload)
.IGS, .SAT, .SKP, .SMT, .STEP