Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
chaosratt

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by chaosratt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Abunchahicks wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm
Great job. It looks like you designed this in fusion, would you mind sharing the .f3d files?
The step files in the first post import with all the parts named correctly for me.

Abunchahicks

Post by Abunchahicks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 pm

chaosratt wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:47 pm
Abunchahicks wrote:
Great job. It looks like you designed this in fusion, would you mind sharing the .f3d files?
The step files in the first post import with all the parts named correctly for me.
I don't mind working with step files, but prefer to have the native file if possible.

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:21 am

chaosratt wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:15 pm
The error is in both the STEP files and the STL files, so it must be something with your export:

[...]
Hmmm... that's strange. My guess is that either the exporter messed up or that I did and didn't notice. I'll have to check my files and upload a proper version.
Regarding the screw posts:

[...]

Red are the posts that I don;t think anyone uses. The matching set on the front are removed for the LCD, and to my knowledge no one has made a bracket for them like the top/upper posts. Further, it's common to remove them and use the hole as L1/R1 buttons. But thats not a terrible problem to leave them in for now, its not technically in the way of anything.

Blue: I've just run into an issue with a non-printed case where these highlighted bits need to be removed in order to fit any button board (such as Helder's) if the battery bay is left intact.
Okay, as a general explanation: I tried to stay as close as possible to the original Game Boy. YaYa and others pointed out that the model could not only be used for printing a case, but also as a reference for designing other prints like brackets. This was a usage I didn't think of initially, but I've seen several people on the forums do it, so I never removed 'unnecessary' stuff. But I guess whatever is necessary wildly varies depending on whatever you want to use the model for. :lol:

The red posts are used pretty often I guess. That is at least in kite's tutorial the original counterparts are glued back onto the back of the screen. HoolyHoo's bracket uses them as well as do one or two other brackets I've seen. So I just assumed everyone would use them. :lol:
That being said: They are not hard to remove. Using Fusion 360 the easiest way is probably 'bomb-fixing' the geometry: Bool them away with a sphere, select the one logical face that the sphere left in the geometry, press delete and Fusion fixes everything automatically in 99% of the cases. I can do a small tutorial on how to do that, but I don't know if I find the time before the weekend.

The posts marked in blue are not for screws but to counter the force that you put on the d-pad and the A/B buttons so you don't bend the PCB too much while playing. If you really don't need them or they are in the way, the left and the middle one can probably be just deleted or bombed. For the right one I'd have to take a look at the model. If you don't manage to get rid of them, I'll remove them for you and upload the model. But this too will most likely have to wait until Saturday at least. I am a bit short on time due to work and Christmas coming up. Also Sunday is my cake-day, so I won't find the time then either. Sorry. :?
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:24 am

Abunchahicks wrote:
I'll upload them. Be warned though – this is the first model I ever did in Fusion 360 and therefore my files are quite messy. :lol:
You'll have to wait until the weekend though, I am currently a bit short on time.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Abunchahicks

Post by Abunchahicks » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:34 am

neolith wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:24 am
Abunchahicks wrote:
I'll upload them. Be warned though – this is the first model I ever did in Fusion 360 and therefore my files are quite messy. :lol:
You'll have to wait until the weekend though, I am currently a bit short on time.
The fact that this is the first model you created in Fusion blows my mind. Thanks again.

blameblaine

Post by blameblaine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Has anyone else printed one and had issues with placing the buttons comfortably into the holes? My ABXY Buttons are really tight and barely fit, definitely not big enough to allow good movement.

I'm trying a second print with the front shell right now with supports turned off to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks! And awesome work!

reipet

Post by reipet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm

I have a printed case here, but i have changed the hole diameter to fit the Aftermarket NES Controller Buttons.
3 out of the 4 buttons fit perfectly, last one needs a bit sanding.
Even the rear printed button and hole working fine.

mrdude42

Post by mrdude42 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:58 pm

reipet wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm
I have a printed case here, but i have changed the hole diameter to fit the Aftermarket NES Controller Buttons.
3 out of the 4 buttons fit perfectly, last one needs a bit sanding.
Even the rear printed button and hole working fine.
Can you post pictures? 🙂

reipet

Post by reipet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm

You can find in older posts in this thread

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Abunchahicks wrote:
I've updated the first post with a new download.

The strange pillar in the battery tray was due to a boolean operation gone rogue after moving things around and has been fixed.

Right now the model is only in .F3D format – if anything else is needed, just post here.