Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
neolith

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by neolith » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 pm

ubidefeo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 pm
[..]
Your measurements are slightly off there as well, but I can probably fix them once I'm at it.

Messy or not, this is an incredible achievement and one can only learn from your approach to object design.
I wish more folks in here shared the fruit of their labour rather than going straight to selling 3d prints :D
If you notice anything being in the wrong place please don't hesitate to tell me. I'll fix it as soon as I can. I tried to measure as good as I can, but unfortunately not all GB cases are equal in proportions. I have two original cases here that are almost identical, but not quite. And a couple of my repro cases are just way off. :? Also I just might have screwed up when measuring. :lol:

I've got to say, I actually like it when people sell their parts. Since I don't have easy access to a 3D printer it is the best way for me to get parts. Trial and error via 3dhubs for things I design myself would cost me a lot more, I guess. And I really don't mind paying people for all the time and work they put into their models.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

ubidefeo

Post by ubidefeo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 am

neolith wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 pm

If you notice anything being in the wrong place please don't hesitate to tell me. I'll fix it as soon as I can. I tried to measure as good as I can, but unfortunately not all GB cases are equal in proportions. I have two original cases here that are almost identical, but not quite. And a couple of my repro cases are just way off. :? Also I just might have screwed up when measuring. :lol:
if you don't mind take a look at the Fusion I'm working on.
I've had to remove the XY buttons draft and fillet (nice work) in order to reposition the holes according to the AIO ones, which in my understanding are currently the most accurate ones we have.
Often measuring with a caliper and then working out offsets from multiple measurements may add human error and things can fall off, but it's totally expected. This is why I measure, print templates, try fitting and then re-model.
Having a well calibratred Ultimaker 2 helps A LOT.
There's work in progress in this file, hope you don't mind :)
GBZ-extras.f3d.zip
(7.33 MiB) Downloaded 316 times
neolith wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 pm
I've got to say, I actually like it when people sell their parts. Since I don't have easy access to a 3D printer it is the best way for me to get parts. Trial and error via 3dhubs for things I design myself would cost me a lot more, I guess. And I really don't mind paying people for all the time and work they put into their models.
I'm ok with people selling 3d prints, as long as they also share the models with community folks who want to adapt/print themselves.
I also always try to share editable projects (here's an example https://github.com/ubidefeo/Bus-Pirate-Case).
As for the money part, I rarely design things I don't have time for, and when I do I have no problem sharing the work no matter how many hours I've put into it. It's the reason I can become good at what I do :)
ubi de feo
very curious human being

Future Tailors
Amsterdam- the Netherlands

http://ubidefeo.com
@ubidefeo

ubidefeo

Post by ubidefeo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:02 am

I made a video update with the status of my parts design, if you care to know :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Kc8OmSWwM
ubi de feo
very curious human being

Future Tailors
Amsterdam- the Netherlands

http://ubidefeo.com
@ubidefeo

neolith

Post by neolith » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I currently don't have much free time, but I'll see if I can find some this weekend to look at your files. :)

Thanks for the video and the exposure (Is exposure the right word? My vocabulary is lacking again. :lol: ).
I was very happy to hear that you don't want to butcher an original working Game Boy! :) It is always a little heartbreaking when people do that...
Also: Nice cutout around the X/Y buttons – I haven't seen that one before. It fits in well with the black/white color scheme.
Thanks for sharing the video! I am always interested to see what people use the model for.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Has anyone tried printing a case from the file? Wondering if I should try.

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:19 pm

ubidefeo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:02 am
I made a video update with the status of my parts design, if you care to know :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Kc8OmSWwM
The XY buttons looks very smart. Very good idea. :)
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 am

DieselDummy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:13 pm
Has anyone tried printing a case from the file? Wondering if I should try.
Several people have. There's some pictures in this thread. The most complete print I've seen so far was from reipet: https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5166

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 am

Just printed the front half of the shell last night. Came out really good. I'll post pic when I get home. The only issue that I've noticed so far is the screw posts printed with no screw holes. Was this done intentionally, or do I have an issue on my end? I haven't had time to check the files yet. It's not really a bad thing, I don't mind drilling and it sure adds flexibility when acquiring hardware. Just thought I'd mention it. Overall, AMAZING model so far

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:38 am

Haven't printed the back half yet but here's my front. Glow-in-the-dark PLA. I think a little bit of sanding (where supports were printed) and it'll be top notch. The LEDs on kites board shine through just the right amount too. Thinking about doing an all glow-in-the-dark build with this CSO now.
frontShow
IMG_20180324_022835.jpg
Front
IMG_20180324_022835.jpg (922.2 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
sideShow
IMG_20180324_022844.jpg
Side
IMG_20180324_022844.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 8299 times
insideShow
IMG_20180324_022850.jpg
Inside
IMG_20180324_022850.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 8299 times

neolith

Post by neolith » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:08 am

DieselDummy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 am
[...] The only issue that I've noticed so far is the screw posts printed with no screw holes. Was this done intentionally, or do I have an issue on my end? I haven't had time to check the files yet. It's not really a bad thing, I don't mind drilling and it sure adds flexibility when acquiring hardware. Just thought I'd mention it. Overall, AMAZING model so far
That was actually done intentionally. The posts are pretty small as it is, having the printer make small rings on top of each other to create holes might make them a lot more brittle. Drilling holes is not only more flexible but also safer regarding stability.
Glad to hear you like the model. :)

Also, nice print – thanks for sharing! But how can you say that you used glow-in-the-dark filament and not show a picture of it glowing in the dark??? :lol: