Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Billy Blaze

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by Billy Blaze » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Sw0rd wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 pm
SpoilerShow
[...] Here's the start of my "GBZ Woody" project :) First test cut of the front shell in a scrap piece of walnut, a double sided CNC operation. The outside turned out pretty good, but the inside will need some modifications. Probably have to enlarge some of the stand offs and button guides and maybe make the outer wall a little thicker. In the end, I'll be using a more dense piece of wood. Possibly some purpleheart or jatoba, etc.

This is my first venture into a GBZ and I'm not quite sure what else I will need here or if I could maybe 3d print an insert instead of machining the inside parts. Just getting a start and learning/figuring it out as I go.
that looks fabulous!
I would be very much interested in a complete shell too. in case you decide manufacturing this outstanding wooden shell I'd be very happy to purchase one of these. anyways, looking forward to further updates!

H.Hudson

Post by H.Hudson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Man, I wish i had found this model sooner. Amazing work. i've been working on my own giant version lately. planning on making a fully functional GBZ that's around 6"x9" roughly. I redesigned the battery compartment to hold 3.6V 2600 mah LI batteries for super long life. again, nice work! p.s. love the wood too.Image
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.53.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.53.58 PM.png (3.02 MiB) Viewed 20094 times
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.54.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.54.09 PM.png (2.71 MiB) Viewed 20094 times
9f1908f5-6e6f-488e-ab84-da176c13db16.PNG
9f1908f5-6e6f-488e-ab84-da176c13db16.PNG (192.72 KiB) Viewed 20094 times

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:24 am

Haha – that's a cool idea! :)
Good luck with your model!
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

retro_jeff

Post by retro_jeff » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 am

@neolith - Came across this page on boxypixel.com. Looks like a modified version of your CAD:

https://www.boxypixel.com/collections/g ... inum-shell

neolith

Post by neolith » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am

retro_jeff wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 am
@neolith - Came across this page on boxypixel.com. Looks like a modified version of your CAD:

Yeah, I came across that one, too. Thanks for the heads-up.

I am not entirely happy seeing someone actually selling cases based upon the model as this was supposed to be a community thing for people that want to work on a case themselves. But I'm not sure if there is something I can do about it now, I'm afraid. First of all the design isn't mine in the first place, it is a copy of Nintendo's. And second, I didn't put any license on it. The next time I am putting something online it'll be under a CC license or something similar.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 am

neolith wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 am

I am not entirely happy seeing someone actually selling cases based upon the model as this was supposed to be a community thing for people that want to work on a case themselves. But I'm not sure if there is something I can do about it now, I'm afraid. First of all the design isn't mine in the first place, it is a copy of Nintendo's. And second, I didn't put any license on it. The next time I am putting something online it'll be under a CC license or something similar.
Unfortunately this is always the end result of putting anything online with or without a license which is often ignored. Would be nice a mention or at least ask permission to use it. It's not your own model as you said but you did the work to model it and shared it which many people would not.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

boxypixel

Post by boxypixel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:25 pm

neolith wrote:
retro_jeff wrote:

Just to clear this up. I absolutely did NOT use anyone's model to create my CAD. I'm a design engineer, and have made every single model from scratch in Solidworks.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 pm

boxypixel wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:25 pm
neolith wrote:
retro_jeff wrote:

Just to clear this up. I absolutely did NOT use anyone's model to create my CAD. I'm a design engineer, and have made every single model from scratch in Solidworks.
Thanks for clarifying that for us.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ZoyaDibirova

Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by ZoyaDibirova » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:51 am

I think most people use a glue called e6000, i was too impatient to wait for some to come and used super glue from the pound shop... seems to have worked alright though.

BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:27 pm

Necro post for my first post...two for one!
Has anyone actually used the CAD model to build a GBZ? I had to alter the screen cutout in Fusion because it definitely wasn't the right size for the typical 3.5 BW screen. I'm on my third prototype, but I think I got it right this time. If I've missed something in the 23 pages, I will accept the noob embarrassment as my punishment.