YaYa's first GBZ - Kite's SAIO - Big Battery - NO Glue - Custom 3D parts - DC Jack - minimum case mod

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Xero

Re: YaYa's first GBZ - Kite's SAIO - Big Battery - NO Glue - DC Jack - minimum case mod

Post by Xero » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:57 am

Stunning build mate. Very well done. I am also going down the route of pogo pins and Samsung battery. Glad to see it in another build. What battery sticker did you use, I'd also like to use it?

Also what solder did you use? The solder I bought isn't so.... Shiny.. but also feels like it clumps up.

I dear I may have ruined something so I will try fix it tomorrow.

YaYa

Re: YaYa's first GBZ - Kite's SAIO - Big Battery - NO Glue - DC Jack - minimum case mod

Post by YaYa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:24 pm

neversettleforless wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:57 am
Stunning build mate. Very well done. I am also going down the route of pogo pins and Samsung battery. Glad to see it in another build. What battery sticker did you use, I'd also like to use it?

Also what solder did you use? The solder I bought isn't so.... Shiny.. but also feels like it clumps up.

I dear I may have ruined something so I will try fix it tomorrow.
Thank you very much :D
I’m glad people are loving it ! I put in it a lot of attention as i wanted it to look like a real factory unit !

If you are using with the pogo pins, i can share the stl of my 3D print if you want it. Just wait a few days so i receive my print, test it and i’ll be sure it’s usefull.

The label ? I made it. Look at my signature, i have a post opened for interest check.
I promised i’ll open a post for pre-orders yesterday but didn’t had the time. I’m on it now so i’ll open it, you can join !

The solder ? I’m using this... 60% tin, flux inside, the rest is lead (how much ? I don’t know)
1F98D548-93A1-4144-BBF8-F2432D6B6ED3.jpeg
1F98D548-93A1-4144-BBF8-F2432D6B6ED3.jpeg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 8102 times
But the real secret is a good iron, so i bought this pack from amazon

Soldering Iron,Kuman électronique 60W 220V https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01KWZZSIQ/ref ... AmnjXDDtLC

and i can set the right temperature for the right soldering work (like ground pads requiring more heat) i’m soldering around 270 degrees and for ground pads, around 350... also, your tip must be very clean, i’m using brass sponge in a tin with rosin flux inside to perfectly clean the iron (look at the link above, all is in the pack)

Abrugsch has written a good tutorial for soldering
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1984
Follow me on instagram Image

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 pm

The pogo pins support...
It is just simply clipped on the 2 plastic stuff that you have inside the shell (maybe a cable management system ?)
Then the pogo pins (original from Samsung Galaxy 2) will be VHB taped above.

Normally, no need to stick the 3D part, it will stay steady by it's own :mrgreen:
pogo pins support.jpg
pogo pins support.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
The shell model is the amazing work of Neolith !!!
Thank you Neolith, your cad is almost perfect so i could save some prototype printing with it !
More info here
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3729

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm

The power switch and the DC barrel jack support...
It is just simply pressed around the screw post and voila !! even removing it then is hard (need to use a flat screwdriver as a lever and carefully raise it to be able to take it off)
Then the components will be VHB taped above.

:mrgreen:
switch and barrel support.jpg
switch and barrel support.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 8088 times

Thank you Neolith, your cad is almost perfect so i could save some prototype printing with it !
More info here

mattc

Post by mattc » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Very nice build... I'm loving your aversion to hot glue! :)

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:12 pm

I have aversion to hot glue and to screws lol... Kite's SAIO allow people to build a very quick GBZ but i wanted to add some more challenge to this.
I love the idea of playing with something looking like a real market product :mrgreen:

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:51 pm

The mode button support...
It is just simply pressed around the screw post and voila !! even removing it then is hard (need to use a flat screwdriver as a lever and carefully raise it to be able to take it off)
The small gap you can see between the 3D part and the tactile switch is the room for the cable and the soldering :mrgreen:

You can also see that the piece is flush with the EXT.CONNECTOR hole where the SAIO's USB port lays... This also allows the USB port to be supported underneath so it will stay steady :lol:

You put the switch first in place, then you push the support and that's all...

:mrgreen:
mode button support.jpg
mode button support.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 8080 times

More info here

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 pm

update 03/10/2017
First page, added some optimisation code to the system to save SD writes, expand SD life, save power and speed up the system :mrgreen:

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks for the detailed description!

edit: Glad to see you're having fun with the model! :lol:
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:02 pm

neolith wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm
Thanks for the detailed description!

edit: Glad to see you're having fun with the model! :lol:
I’m having more than fun with your model lol, i’m having sex
:mrgreen: :lol: